I Forge Iron

New tool

I needed a shouldered wing or thumb screw for the new forge and nobody seems to carry them. Heck, nobody even knew what I was talking about.

I needed to be able to shoulder a piece of rod while maintaining the dia. so I put this together and after three tries I got something that works.

I made a holder to use it in the vise but it needs tweeking so I gave it a shot on the anvil with the "C" clamp and that worked dandy.

Frosty

6825.attach

Eh?

I upset 1/2" rd into it to make the shoulder and thick section for making the thumb part.

I would've made a smithin magician and drawn larger dia. down but this was (I thought at first) faster.

Frosty

I got (too?) fancy, the other side is chamfored so it'll make radiused shoulders. I welded up a holder from angle iron so it makes a "Z". One leg hangs over the vise jaws, the other holds the die. It needs tweeking as it doesn't hold the halves parallel.

Frosty

Did you finish the screw you needed Frosty?
If it does the job it was intended for then it's a good tool.

welder19

I need to finish forging the thumb part, then I'll thread it but I ran out of propane.

Alignment's no problem as the rd stock lines the halves fine. I kicked around ideas for springs, alignment pins, clips, etc. and put guides on the angle holder. What worked best was laying it on the anvil and using the "C" clamp.

The simplest method worked best. Go figure. :rolleyes:

It has 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" swage holes. I have NO idea why I put a 3/4" hole in it, it isn't beefy enough for 3/4" by a long shot. Oh well, it's there.

Frosty

Nice new tool there Frosty. (I followed you over...great, another forum my wife will hate.)

I tell my wife that these are my imaginary friends... :rolleyes::D

Cool tool Frosty. Lets see the "shouldered wing or thumb screw" when you get it finished.

I tell my wife that these are my imaginary friends... :rolleyes::D

Cool tool Frosty. Lets see the "shouldered wing or thumb screw" when you get it finished.

Sure thing, soon as I get one I want to keep. The first one was (is) the experimental, proof of concept, etc. model.

I'd tell my wife that if she weren't logged on and playing with her imaginary friends right now. ;)

Frosty

Jerry don't discount the spring swedge idea that is how I make pins/long rivets for hinges. If you are doing very many it works really well, you also need to shoulder the tool to stay in the vice nicely. If I remember I will throw it in the truck so you can see on Sat.

Mark, Irnsrgn:

I hadn't discounted the idea of a spring swage, I had the idea I could use both sides and that doesn't work very well as a spring swage. Or I should say I haven't thought of a way.

On the other hand I haven't thought of what I'd do with the chamfored side and will probably spring it. The thing's just way too slow to use the way it is.

Thanks.

What else are you bringing Saturday Mark?

I'm bringing the new forge, my 200lb. Trenton and probably the swage block if I get a stand built for it before then, plus the usual tools.

Frosty

I am bringing stuff to sell so I don't know how much other stuff will fit in the truck. If I do any demonstrations I will likely need to use someones anvil and fire, I will try to bring some hand tools as I can fit them in easy enough. Is your arm OKed for lifting or would you like some help loading stuff?

So Frosty's real name is Jerry, eh? Do people in Alaska say eh?

I just checked my profile and there's no place to put your real name. I've gone by Frosty since I discovered who Jack Frost "is". The folks told me when I was really young to get used to being called Jack but didn't tell me why. When I found out I started trying to discourage it.

Not as often as a Canadian might, though an Alaskan IS likely to say anything. :o

Frosty
GCOA