I Forge Iron

Anvil ID

Looks Trenton-ish. 

The only work it needs is hot steel hammered on its face. You got a great gift. Please be very kind to the man that gave it to you. 

You could wire wheel the paint off it and might find markings but it looks like a great anvil. How is the ring and rebound?

If the weldor doesn't know what they are doing they can cause WORSE issues than the ones they are trying to "fix".  Preheating to the correct temperature and slow cooling is MANDATORY. (and overheating will ruin the temper!)  If you must have it repaired read up on the Gunther/Schuler method of anvil repair as it's the "gold standard".

And can we see a picture of the base of that anvil?  (and check the front to the "feet" under the horn to see if there is a weight stamp and/or a serial number there.)

9 hours ago, astevens said:

I’m in California.

We won't remember that once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show location. There are quite a few threads on repairing anvils, most feel that unless the person doing the work is very experienced with anvils they do more harm than good. Grinding or milling the hardened face of an anvil can ruin it.

Please do not "fill in" any of the pits.  That anvil is is great shape.  If you try to fill anything in you will likely take a great anvil and make it a poor one.  Use it as is.  Take a look around the forum and see what others are using for anvils and you'll realize that is quite a gift you just received.  You are just the latest caretaker of that anvil and none of the smiths  before you saw a need to fix the imperfections so keep with that wisdom.  

Please at least use it for a while before you decide to do anything to it. And I don't mean use it for an hour and make your decision, use it for a LONG time. (a year is often suggested) Then, after that, if you really do think that it is making it difficult for you to forge, then consider making changes. In the photos you posted, the face honestly looks pretty pristine to me. Perhaps post a closer up photo of exactly what you are worried about?

If it were me, I would simply use it as is and not run the risk of ruining a perfectly good anvil.

Right on Chelonian.  Can't agree more.  For perspective, this is the anvil I'm using as my main forging anvil.  Lots of imperfections the don't affect any of my forging whatsoever.  

DSCN3864.thumb.JPG.97dd34b94c170f9e587dcfc40f5a6c10.JPG

Here's my second anvil which I consider in decent shape as well

IMG_0131.thumb.JPG.1758f9394fc4f73d7c2ac21ad0ee61fd.JPG

I plan on doing nothing with the faces or edges of these anvils.  You don't need a perfect anvil in every way for it to be perfectly usable.  

And just for one more example for the OP, this is the anvil I use. The face on it is not exactly perfect, but it does not leave any texturing left on my forgings. If I'm using the edge of the anvil, I simply avoid the one main chip in the edge. I have not once thought to myself "gee, if I had that little spot on edge intact I could do so much more!" :

002.thumb.JPG.1a32078de9e4e87815a3cd08268d1069.JPG

Oh yeah, its also missing its heel. I don't even notice that anymore while I'm forging. (if I need a hardy or pritchel hole, I will just make a freestanding one.) To me this anvil is not a "broken anvil" It's just an anvil with a few secondary features removed by owners over the years.

Those attempts may cause bigger issues *IF* they were not done right. As the face is high carbon and the body massive you can get auto quenching and HAZ cracking so that a repair will end up popping out in an even larger hole after use.

I have had a couple of anvils repaired at anvil repair days put on by ABANA affiliates in Ohio and New Mexico, they did it right and I had to fight to get them to accept money for the consumables that were used! (My 410# Trenton had air arc gouging on it from abuse by mine maintenance crews.  Took a lot of preheat!  We used an infra red thermometer to judge proper preheat.)

Okay. I won't mess with it. I see a little info online on serial #'s on these things but if anyone has approximate year of when it was made I think that'd be neat to know. So far I have seen a 39,000 that was dated to 1897.  This one is 13818 which I'm assuming is even older.

thanks

Adam