I Forge Iron

One of them days.......

:mad: Just one of them days. The metal just wouldent listen to me tonight:rolleyes: Making a nice fire poker for dad. The design called for a forge welded handle. Got everything done and ready to weld. Dang if I just couldent get things to go my way tonight for some reason. Well theres a reason they say dont forge when your mad. By the time I was done I could have chewed that poker in two... You also have a habit of striking way to hard when you get aggrevated it seems, and it seems the more the weld dosnt want to stick the more aggrevated you get:p got it to stick, barely and just wasnt happy with it. So I stuck in the bending forks and it popped loose with a "PING"...So I just took a deep breath, cleaned everything up and set the poker aside. Ill get up in the morning, make a clean fire and try again.

I feel for you, friend...been there and done that on lots of stuff. Many years ago, I was building a headache rack for the truck and accidentally put a piece in backwards, then completely welded it before I noticed what had happened. I yanked the piece out of the vise and threw it across the shop, where it went right through the window. Of course, then I had to fix both the rack and the window.

You are smarter than most folks when you know to put it down and come back later...

Edited by HWooldridge
speelin'

Well, fresh coal,fresh fire this morning and she welded like a charm :D After I calmed down and looked back at what I was doing yesterday its no wonder i couldent do anything..LOL, I felt foolish :P Thanks fellas. ;)

KYBOY, don't sweat it. It is amazing to me to watch an acomplished smith do some forge welding, the way they make it look so easy.
Watch them and you will notice how focused they are in the moment, very deliberate.
Expereience shows in the discipline they follow. No fooling around, tools right where they should be, no clutter in the way, take the iron from the fire, a quick whisk with a wire brush at the scarf while all in
one uninterupted fluid motion from the fire to the anvil's face the piece is placed exactly where is predetermined and tap-tap-tap, the weld is done.
Tap-tap-tap, not WHAP-WHAP-WHAP.
Sometimes I can weld like I know what I'm doing, sometimes I am reminded by my results that I am the novice that I am, so I go try again ;) Dan