I Forge Iron

Sharpening steel

dickb

I am making a couple of carving knife and fork sets for gifts. 

The knifes are 1084 and or 1095 steel . I have a few pieces of stock of each type and use them pretty much interchangeably . Have never had any problems.  The knives are oil quenched and tempered to 400 degrees F. 

I want to add a sharpening steel to complete the set. 

I have plenty of coil springs from automobile shock  and/or struts. They are pretty easy to get around here and I don't use anything that looks the least bit rusty or crusty. About 5/8 inches cross section. 

It's easy enough to straighten them out and forge a nice long taper with a tang . 

So far, so good , but should temper them a little cooler than the blades ?

And how can I leave some long ridges from one end to the other as per commercially available ones ? I can score them prior to heat treating but I think they will burn off. And the second question is, how do I deal with the forge scale on the surface ?

First off...I'm no expert so take it with a grain of salt...

Since a honing steel does not grind away any surface...it only pushes the edge back into proper position and burnishes it a bit...wouldn't that require a hardness that is higher than the knife itself?  If softer than the knife, it'd tend to potentially have the knife cut in.  IIRC, any texture on the steel is actually so that it increases the pressure per unit area--by having basically micro gaps between the bumps on the steel so the micro bumps can each put pressure on a smaller unit area.

When putting the edge on a woodworking cabinet scraper, you use a perfectly smooth and extremely hard round bar to draw out a wire edge-slightly deforming the edge of the scraper under the bar.  That often means a good hard-chromed surface so even the shaft of a good quality screwdriver can work.  A knife steel is not much different except the knife starts out harder so you aren't drawing as much "edge" under the pressure.

• 2 months later...

I've come across multiple non-zirconia hones that were sans-knurling, and they work just fine.  I'm with Kozzy in thinking you would want a fairly high rockwell value compared to the knives you've produced.  Perhaps even a few passes of hot sanding to give the rod some "grit" prior to HT and do a snap temper to prevent over-tempering. (by no means am I an expert, just my flow of consciousness on the matter)

As far as I know honing steels are used at a time good steels with high carbon were rare and more expensive than today.

Those days surgical instruments for example were over 60HRC hard, but common working blades mostly ranged in the mid 50's HRC or less.

It is only to bring an edge of a less hard knife upright again.Honing steels are not abrassive.(what Kozzy said)

due the leverage a honing steel only makes some effect in the middle of the blade, the rest of the blade stays dull

If You have a  today a blade with 61HRC and hone it on the steel that might have 62-63 HrC, not much will happen.

Who tries planing soft wood with a planing blade made of hardwood?

By the way those honers make super blades.

In Germany 20 years ago this artificial ruby came up and is still the most used sharpening medium....(take google translate)http://de.abrasiv.wikia.com/wiki/Sinter_Rubinsteine