I Forge Iron

My new work staition

Peppie

My background is in woodworking. This heat and beat thing is very new to me.I have spent the last 6 months planning, organizing,and building a 10 X 10 covered forge outside my "wood" shop.

This is my latest addition to the forge. Being my covered area is small, all benches and tools need to be compact and versitile.

To me the greatest acomplishment of this project was getting all four feet to touch the ground when I turned it over.

20181014_124710.jpg

20181014_124739.jpg

20181014_124800.jpg

20181014_124809.jpg

20181014_124820.jpg

Ty Beavers,

My welding skills are improving along with my lack of needing to grind so much.lol

I will install a bi-pass door rail at the face of the canopy opening so I can protect the table and vise from the weather. I like the idea of being able to slide a door panel ( metal sideing). Out of the way when I work at the table.

Your lock collar for the vise screw is not working any longer?  I noticed that spring there to open the jaws..

I like the work station.. Super handy and hot metal won't burn it..

that is a European style vise.. German I believe but some of the vises traveled " To and from".. so.. Whos to say other than it's not what we would call and English style..

3 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Your lock collar for the vise screw is not working any longer?  I noticed that spring there to open the jaws..

I like the work station.. Super handy and hot metal won't burn it..

that is a European style vise.. German I believe but some of the vises traveled " To and from".. so.. Whos to say other than it's not what we would call and English style..

The vise was missing the spring when I bought it. I bought a race car spring 85#, and cut it to fit. Seems a bit stiff, but none the less works for now. The lock collar you speak of? Not sure I understand how it works, or even if it does. I will check it out further.

I was told the vise was a" pendigus" (sp) weighs about #90, with 5 3/4" jaws. I luv it.

The table is a nice" workhorse" addition to the forge. I am sure it will out last my forgeing days.

From the ones I have seen there is usually no spring.. At least around the screw box.. 

There is either a collar just under the handle ball which attaches to the vise and fits into the screw with a shoulder or there is a collar on the backside of the jaw which fits over the screw.. 

I have also seen them with a V spring down in the hinge area.. 

they might have used coil springs in the old days if they were easy to come by.. :) 

5862282e5b93628413eefe53635a4c93.jpg

Inked20181014_124800.thumb.jpg.3637d92919ae0b8057dc99658bf55eae_LI.jpg

Yep definitely a German pattern vise, but who knows where it was made. I always liked that pattern and the French pattern, seems like they’d be a better design, not that I ever had a deficiency in my English pattern vises (vices?).

Ive seen many French pattern vises made in Germany, and all the American made leg vises I’ve seen copied the English pattern. 

I actually think it’s pretty interesting that the American anvil copied the London pattern so closely, and we copied their vises too. But we had so many Germans here that at one time there was discussion of Deutsch being our national language at not German. Either more business owners were English, or???? 

Anyways that’s a nice vise and great job on the work table