I Forge Iron

Adjustable support stand for the anvil and forge

BlackHillForge

To support longer stock in the forge, I used to use plastic crates stacked up, which worked, but were bulky and made of plastic didn’t fare well with hot steel.  I saw a simple support stand on a video on you tube and thought it should be fairly straightforward to make, and it turned out to be very useful so far.

Here is the build video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1qYu8aNCiU&feature=share

5287E409-FFF1-418E-8E67-C40034CBF129.jpeg

I had to laugh when after you tacked the first leg it fell off after taking the clamp off :-) Anybody that welds has had that happen. I wonder if theres a welding term for that. I might have  missed it in fast fowarding the vid but what kind of device makes it adjustable?    You made a handy tool!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2018 at 2:01 PM, Glenn said:

You may want to weld a V to the stand to keep things from moving about. Lay the stock in the V and it stays put.

Thus:

7386C85A-43D1-41E2-9E8A-52D97ECD6723.jpeg

Another good option is to use rebar for the horizontal piece; the nubby texture keeps things from sliding around.

Mine is a pretty simple affair. Base is an old chair base with a piece of auto exhaust pipe welded to it. Another piece slides inside it with a roller welded on and a nut&wing bolt to adjust height. It does double duty for a stock rest when ripping long lumber with the radial arm saw and long stock in the forge. When using it in the forge a couple of c-clamps keep it from turning & the stock from sliding off to the side.

100_1999.thumb.JPG.969ebda1415f7e871a94f4e3a05efb57.JPG