I Forge Iron

Stump problems as an Anvil

Irondragon - Yes Sir, I have and 'thought' I understood it. 

Daswulf - Thanks again; I DID take the first warning to heart as a G rated site and I like that, because my blind autistic nephew loves to hear me tell him what you guys are saying, so I get that. But my posting in the wrong forum didn't just get moved , which I would be cool with, but I got a reprimand for 'spamming' which was at worst an honest mistake.

You guys/gals continue to impress me not just with metal but with integrity has anyone ever told yall that?

I guess I need to develop a thicker skin and I will own that as my own fault.

Strike, as others have already stated, we want you to succeed, and want to be a part of your success.  Ask your questions by giving us as much detail of what you have to work with, what you have tried to do already, and tell us what you want to accomplish. Photos help greatly as we can see what you are doing. 

Your thread is less than 24 hours old and is already full of suggestions. Some of those suggestions were discussed with other options being offered. It is up to you to choose which is best for you. See if it works then come back and ask for more details or ask more questions.

As long as your trying, we are willing to help. Hang in there as you will learn how the site operates and then find out how to best utilize the information. 

Shoot I was once moderated for something I had said to my Pastor in Church the previous Sunday. And once for a typo.  If you are going to smith you are going to make mistakes---the important thing is to learn from them and go on to improve your work!

As many of us do read the entire site, (I click on the "unread content"; top right of my screen), duplicated posts are a bit tedious. I suggest you make your best guess and include the line "Moderators; please move this to the correct location if there is a better place for it."  (Who knows they might get into a secret argument as to where it should be placed!)

Yes we can get very picky at times on Jargon; but jargon exists to allow very precise descriptions for a specific field and so we all need to use it correctly---and we all make goofs from time to time.  I've posted apologies for being wrong several times on this site.

Lastly remember that though a question may have been posted by you the reply may be written for the whole world and so don't take them too personally. (If you want a personal answer; PM can be used; though many of us hold the belief that many answers should be available for the whole world to profit from.  I have used PM to discuss techniques that are highly dangerous for the unexperienced smith for instance.

Strike, did you find anything to use. I just picked up a piece of rail line and plates. The line is over 2 foot, get a way to cut it and you can have half. I've got a few plates if one of those would be better for you. I am up Harper's Ferry way

4Rs9rDEl.jpg

thanks for the offer man, you're right up a road a bit, so cool. Anyway, is this something that's gonna have to be torched in half or an angle grinder? I'll see what my buddy at the autobody shop's got for tanks and tools. 

Feel a little less picked on Strike? We've all been where you are. . . Were, I hope. It's just a learning curve like any other. The really stinky factoid about the IForge learning curve is it's tendency to change whenever the OS providers decide to update. Things tend to change without warning and rarely for the better.

The best way to search the site is use your favorite search engine and include Iforge in the terms. As noted the onsite engine is stinky on a good day. 

Jargon is important so we're all speaking the same craft language even if we don't speak the same national type language. We're constantly incorporating other countries terminology if not for daily use then so we know what they: said, asked, are talking about, whatever and can pass it on to the rest of the world. 

It's a complex cocktail party we engage in here so don't take things personally. If something is personal that person will PM you or get moderated by Admin. Personal attacks and name calling are more unforgivable sins here than OCCASIONAL bad language or commercial links. You can argue your points or opinions as adults but NO FIGHTING or you'll have to sit in a corner, use the rounded scissors and maybe ride in the short bus! -_-

A number of us are jokers, if it seems we're making fun of problems, we aren't really we're most likely trying to lighten the mood so solutions come easier. I'm a laugh at the devil kind of guy. If I were to let myself go I'd be banned quickly so I make light. . . Well, okay I do mock idgits sometimes, I just can't help myself in extremis.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. 

Frosty The Lucky.

A lot of us have been hanging around here long enough to know each others styles/particularities/hot buttons, (BEST!), or even a bit about their lives---want to take your sheet metal out for a spin?---talk to Frosty. Want to get kicked by a horse?---talk to CRS. Want to discuss recovering from a TBI; well there is a bunch of us here  like that...

New folks *are* welcome even if they don't want to participate in the kidding around, (I almost said joshing but then there would be a Fisher King joke to be made...)

(Frosty "in extremis"???  here I thought you were in Meadow Lakes...)

But ask a specific and well thought out question and you may very well get an answer from someone who actually wrote the book; or books; or answers reflecting  centuries of cumulative experience.  

No worries there. Normally I would of cut it, but my 9" angle grinder pulled the pin a month or so ago. Only got a small one at the moment. Even a 7" would do it. Ley me know what you find out and we'll work something out. 

Strike,  I just obtained another piece of rail line. It is close to 3 ft. It has been trimmed so there is a square edge on it.It appears to be a bit lighter, Maybe for switches. Anyway.  there it is if you want it.

yeah man, my buddy at the shop is swamped with business. I would love to get a piece of your pie. :)  I don't know what railswitches do, but if it will allow me to use it as an ASO I would be so grateful. 3 ft will work with me, oh yeah. Can you show me a picture or post one cuz like I said I don't know if it's the curvey part of a railline switch or however the proper terminology works out, anyway, started at Wendy's a couple days ago so I gotta check my schedule.( Don't know how you guys have fulltime jobs and get home and hit the forge.) You mentioned a plate, any way you got another piece I could weld to the rail? Nothing big or industrial, just curious.   You're the best Fazer. Lemme know.

daswulf - I should have been all over that auto body shop but I never had the smithing fever like I do now. Never knew I truly wanted. Now that I do I just can't be a 'leach', but he is my roommate...

Frosty - Yeah man, thanks for picking me up when I was bummed, same goes for you Glenn,  I wanna thank yall. 

As you are out and about keep your eyes open for things that can be used in blacksmithing. Do not worry about what it is called, can it be used?  Do not worry about what it is being used now, how can you put it to use?  The down side of that is everything metal can be used and you do not have room to store it all. That 5 gallon bucket was empty and thrown into the trash, but at the forge it became a container to hold coal, it became a container to hold short stock, and upside down it became a chair. 

After a while you figure out a way to start a fire in the forge that takes only a few minutes, and a way to tear the fire apart and put it out when you finish. That leaves more time to actually forge.

Learn how to move metal. Hitting metal dead flat with a hammer is ok but you can use the edge of the hammer face to move metal in the direction you want it to go. If you are making a curve, swing the metal against the anvil horn to start the curve. Not recommended with tongs unless the tongs fit well and hold tight. 

If you make things on a regular basis, then make a jig. If you make several of the same size leaves then make a veining tool instead of using a chisel to make the veins. John McPerson made this one. Just hammer out the shape of the leaf, lay it over the veining tool and hit it with the hammer. Instant raised veins.

PB fabbed leaf vein blank.jpg

You might be surprised how much forge work is done away from the forge. Carry a notebook and write down all the little things that come to mind during the day, while your eating lunch, while waiting at a stop light. Each little piece of time adds up but only if you use it.

How much time do you have? How much forge activity can you pack into that time? A quick fire will get you started forging small stuff. After a couple of projects the fire will be more established and you can do larger items. Knowing what you want to make, and how to make it, will cut down on wasted forge time. Using the hammer to actually move the metal cuts down on hammer strokes and saves time. Making more then one of an item saves time. Batch processing means you made the first one to figure out how and now you can make additional pieces as quickly as you can heat up the metal. Assemble the pieces into a larger unit.

A lot of it is just being efficient with the time you have to work with. An hour at the forge can make a lot of things.

Here are some pictures. The rail on the right is the one you can have. I thought it may have been trimmed, but no cut marks. 

xMHVdD7l.jpg

Another picture, showing the edge

s9E0B1Cl.jpg

The plates.They are 18 X 8, 1 inch thick at center

3U7bOThl.jpg