I Forge Iron

Tire on a little giant?

Soooo, may have jumped a little quick but I brought home a project.  It's a bare bones LG 50, so bare it's just the frame. Already picked up the counterweight and sourced many parts but the clutch seems unavailable so far and I've put off ordering anything else until I know I can complete it. 

Main question, had anyone set one up with a tire for the clutch?

very open to ideas and thanks for any input 

IMG_1862.JPG

IMG_1863.JPG

IMG_1865.JPG

IMG_1870.JPG

Have you priced new parts? They're all available you know, except the frames I believe. Search "Littlegianthammer parts" the terms should get you there.

I've given consideration to modifying my 50# LG but I'm not up to those kinds of projects anymore. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Glad to hear Sid is still around, I haven't had any contact with him since buying mine and there isn't anything mine needs but some niggly little things. He held a hammer rebuild clinic here a few years ago and brought an available parts list but I only glanced through it. 

Still worth contacting the company, worst they can say is no.

to the original question. I don't see why a tire drive wouldn't work with a little adaptation.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2018 at 7:49 AM, Will. K. said:

Another possible option is to run the hammer off a VFD for speed control.

There are a few videos on YouTube.

That's a fact.  That's Steve Howell in that video... I was just at his shop the other weekend, he got a 200 lb Beaudry and just gotten it working great using a 10 hp VFD and motor, TIG pedal for speed control, no mechanical clutch at all.  Worked great!
For a LG 50# I think a 3 hp VFD and 3 hp 3 phase motor would work well.  Also it would be cost effective... you're gonna need a motor anyway, 3 phase ones tend to be cheaper, offset the cost off the VFD with that, get the VFD as a TECOFM50 203 from Factorymation for like $200, get a compatible tig pedal, and BOOM you're good to go, no clutch needed and all the control you could want.
You'd still need to make a DuPont linkage to hang the ram from but that's a separate issue anyway.  Probably easier though without having to work around a tire.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little underwhelmed with the control of that Beaudry above.  It travels on another blow or 2 and it doesn't seem to be able to stop at the top of the stroke.  When punching the hole he has to quickly pull the work out to avoid another hit rather than having the ram stop when wanted.  

The VFD might be great for starting and running the hammer, but I firmly believe all mechanicals need a brake to get optimal performance.  The Beaudrys I've run had well tuned factory brakes and could start and stop on a dime.  Even halfway thru a downstroke.  

Leaving the factory brake installed on a Beaudry would be my preferred option, when converting to VFD.  It would be fairly easy to actually rig the stock Beaudry treadle to actuate a potentiometer control for the VFD... at any rate the 200# he just put into service over there has pretty good control.  I could set the ram at the top of the stroke pretty easy. 
The VFD could be set for a faster slowdown rate, I.E. electronic braking, but one would have to pay heed to motor?VFD rating requirements to handle braking that much mass quickly.  I still think that direct mechanical braking of the flywheel is likely better.
A little Giant, now... they don't have a factory brake anyway!