I Forge Iron

Vulcan

Hello, I recently purchased this VULCAN 25 anvil. Weight is 250 lbs .   My question is , I don’t see the arm and hammer logo , on the side I see in faint detail , National supply tool company .   Is this anvil any good ? 

0BB987BC-CF19-4385-84ED-0A0D9559FE94.jpeg

0DF35740-3A80-411B-ACC9-16D19A7374F0.jpeg

FC799E22-BE3B-4F16-BD44-5E1FAB2B3D83.jpeg

0A0F3FE2-7A50-408A-8AA4-9F94D49FCE62.jpeg

038F2332-D580-4918-8A6E-0EE9EE009044.jpeg

1 hour ago, Steve Sells said:

removing any of the working area.

A little grinding , not much . Rebound is good all over . 

1 hour ago, the iron dwarf said:

looks like lots of damage on that anvil, all of the heel and edges seems to have had welding and grinding done on it, hope you did not pay more than $50 for it

Geez! $50! Anvils are like gold out here in Southern California , $50 gets you a harbor freight 55lb anvil or 1 foot peice of railroad track .   The top is pretty flat and hard, no denting when hitting on it .  

anywhere it has been welded on should be avoided by at least an inch all round and taking off 1/1000" of the surface can take decades off its life.

if it is as bad as it looks it could be no better than a chinese lump of cast iron.

the heat of welding can ruin the hardness of the  top plate over a large area

41 minutes ago, the iron dwarf said:

quote removed

Wow no better then a Chinese lump of cast iron ! Broke two of those and they dented with every blow from the hammer , this one doesn’t .  But back to my original question . Should this bear the arm and hammer sign ? Or not all Vulcans do? 

Lol. Good luck getting your original question answered, that is not nearly as entertaining as dumping all over your new purchase apparently. 

But I don’t think it matters much. Unless it’s a Fisher, there’s not a lot of brand value in any of the steel-faced cast iron anvils. If you’re happy with it, that’s the main thing. Who knows how many different ways they were branded, you know? 

our main shop anvil is only about 150 lbs but it gets very heavy use 5 days a week, often with a 14 lb hammer, it is 300 years old and should be good for another 300.

it is often used for working large bits of chrome vanadium and other tough materials and it will probably have less wear in my lifetime than yours will have with light use in a year but you are an expert and know everything

image.png

$60.00

This is what’s available here in Southern California. Insaine!  Bring your anvils out here and you could sell and retire! Hahaha

image.png

Anvil $600

image.png

RR track anvil $150

image.png

Anvil 175 pounds, $900

Ideally we are all looking for what an anvil is worth and whether we did good or bad in terms of buying or selling for that matter..  

Ideally, never buy a damaged anvil it just inflates the price.. With that said, if someone does buy a damaged anvil fixing it correctly is the best way which requires a very large forge and a huge heat treat tub and no one currently does it in the USA..  Refflinghaus of Germany still repairs anvils with steel faces from what I have read.. 

There are other ways of fixing and anvil properly with modern arc welding though it is still frowned upon as it's not an original way of doing it.. Does it work, yes and getting involved with an anvil repair day that the people are experienced can lead not only to a nearly perfect anvil but also make a mediocre anvil like new.. 

Problem with getting a straight reply is after most being involved for 20 years + they have seen more damage done to anvils than fixed..  and frankly get tired of the question.. 

This holds true today as smithing has taken off again..   

So the question of good or bad is the toughest one to ask.. 

So, these brand of anvils were and are perfectly serviceable.. Many were produced and were considered a lesser than anvil compared to forged or a Eagle anvil.. 

With the welding on of the side piece and corner damage most in the "Know" would have passed on it unless it was really cheap/inexpensive.. 

49 minutes ago, the iron dwarf said:

our main shop anvil is only about 150 lbs but it gets very heavy use 5 days a week, often with a 14 lb hammer, it is 300 years old and should be good for another 300.

it is often used for working large bits of chrome vanadium and other tough materials and it will probably have less wear in my lifetime than yours will have with light use in a year but you are an expert and know everything

Wow! You guys are a bunch xxxxxx xxxx! Haha! I thought only XXXXXXX were on Facebook , I guess they are all over the web! XXXX your quote rules ! XXXX your Craigslist ad post rules ! Ban me! Saying your anvil is better then mine, might be better then this one but who knows if I do t have another .  Hahaha! Peace out! BUNCH OF XXXXX! 

yotie----looks like a good find----not deserving the lambasting----please post your thoughts after using awhile......frankly,,for those "tired of answering the question"-----i wish THEY would STOP answering----board has gotten way to heavy with smarmy smart xxx answers.

some people cant deal with the truth or the internet. There was no lambasting.    Too used to being told how great they are in everything, that it reality hurts when told about the damage to his anvil, It is not in good shape.  If he didnt want the truth he should not have posted it, Cussing us out was uncalled for no matter what, F bombs only got him banned.

4 hours ago, yt12 said:

yotie----looks like a good find----not deserving the lambasting----please post your thoughts after using awhile......frankly,,for those "tired of answering the question"-----i wish THEY would STOP answering----board has gotten way to heavy with smarmy smart xxx answers.

Well said. 

He asked if his anvil was any good, and that question was answered. There is a difference, however, between giving a considered opinion and... well... behaving badly. 

I also live in Southern California, and can confirm how crazy anvil prices are here. Cut the guy some slack. 

nonsense---he started out with a completely legit question from an admitted newbie ------dont know about his "f-bombs"----but if you are claiming MY language tests any limits----ABSOLUTE nonsense.

Your changing a few letters does not make your choice of words G rated, and he is not a new person. He has been a member since July of 2014, and you  are delusional.  no one said anything about not answering his questions, In fact you just complained because we did answer them

There wasnt a thing i posted that WASNT  Grated------a  NOTHING requiring you to start name calling.Please,no need to respond-----Im out !!!! Its a beautiful day !!!!!  everyone--EVERYONE have a great day.

IForgeIron is a G rated family forum. We go by the intent, not how they were misspelled to try to get around the site guidelines. We X out cuss words etc so the post will meet the G rated family format.

This thread is now closed.