I Forge Iron

First anvil purchase

Trying to get my first anvil. Found this one about 2 hours away from where I live. Anvil is located in northern California and is asking $500. I don't think he/she knows anything about the anvil. Would it be worth my drive? any advice? 

received_2092635724082283.jpeg

received_219938958677610.jpeg

received_246131676030902.jpeg

received_184200382348460.jpeg

7 hours ago, Daswulf said:

No need to quote what we just read.

Finest quality AISI 52100 chrome steel

" finest quality chrome steel produced in accordance with the highest industry standards. These high precision G25 ball bearings are hot forged from bar stock. Modern furnaces with precisely controlled atmospheres and temperatures are used for heat treating to assure uniform hardness and proper microstructure for each Stainless steel ball. Throughout the manufacturing process, statistical process control assures tolerance accuracy, fine surface finish and consistent high quality. Chrome steel balls offer the precise geometry and fine surface finish that makes them especially useful for bicycles, casters, drawer slides, door locks and many other applications."

thank you and sorry if the answer is obvious about the ball bearing.

I'll try and go take a look at it. Thanks for the advice 

I second Irondragon on the wire brush.  Rust and grease and oil can cause a ball bearing test to be way off.  It sounds like you have a hardened steel ball bearing.  Don't forget your tape measure or ruler and drop it from the 10 inch mark to make the visual easier.  Looks like a good opportunity.  Let us know if you go and what the outcome is.

I contacted the seller and she wanted a PayPal deposited to hold the anvil for me just so I can go see it. She said she has other people interested and said she would only hold it if I did a deposit. Unfortunately I told her I didn't feel comfortable and told her to tell me if I could go see it if she didn't go though with her other deal.  I'm 0-2 this past two weeks in getting an anvil. 

I’m with Das. Who would have thought of running an anvil scam? The requested deposit coupled with the seller not knowing anything about the anvil sends up a red flag for me. I’ve dealt with people that know nothing about anvils but they’ll still tell you what they can about the one they’ve got. Ask them for the serial number off the front foot, what sort of depression is in the base and other questions that they would only be able to tell you if they’ve actually got it. The anvil looks like it could be worth owning and making a drive for if the deal is legit and you don’t put down a deposit. 

Yup, sounds scammy from my experiences. You did the right thing in telling her you're interested if the "other interested" people dont come through. If you get a call I would deffinately haggle harder. Could just be a ploy to get her price or more too. Had a friend deal with " that" scenario. No thanks.... head to the junkyard or a fab shop and get a good priced chunk of steel. 

Thanks guys! According to the seller she already sold the anvil that she supposably had. I wouldn't be surprised if she was just trying to scam me. Ooh well, I don't mind continuing my search for a anvil. I'm gonna try the flea market this weekend and spread the word that I'm looking for one.