I Forge Iron

Hammer heads (not a sword :) )

Sam Salvati

Here is some hammers I chose to use my last working days in the shop to make. I ate up 6 feet of 1 1/2 inch round 1045, and all I have left is 2 3 inch peices. Used about 50 pounds of coal, then 2 small handfulls of my emergency coke.
A couple japanese cutler's/sheffeild dog head hammers, a couple cross peins, a couple DIAGONAL peens which are very fun and great tools (wish I could have gotten the eye holes in them) both a left and a right hand, a special pair of japanese sledgehammers, couple of rounding/flat hammers along with a rounding/flat striker's hammer, and a few blanks I did not have time to get the eye holes in.

6521.attach

6522.attach

6523.attach

6524.attach

6525.attach

6526.attach

6527.attach

6528.attach

6529.attach

6530.attach

Last working days, as in my last weekend in the shop. Landlord is closing the building so I am out.

Thanks guys! Simmonds, I thought it was VERY fun!

Nett, they are normalised for now, still have to be heat treated. I think the small rounding hammer will be around 1 1/2 pounds when all done.

Cursed landlord, how dare he!:mad:

Good looking hammers, Sam. So, what does the future hold for our hero? Will he find another shop? Stay tuned viewers, if I know Sam, something will happen soon.

Really though, do you have another place in mind? What a shame. Hope you find a place to work, would be a travesty to the blacksmithing community if Sam can't play.

Again, hope you can find a place without too long of a delay.

-aaron

Thanks Aaron! What does the future hold?!?! I don't know, for now I will pack up the whole shop and put it in my garage and get a gas forge, make it so I can roll the anvil and a couple hammers and the gas forge out then back in when I am done. I do have a SMALL space here at my house to work, enough to play atleast, not th ebest but it will do until I can get a new shop.

I don't know about travesty :) , maybe everyone might like a break from my endless posting of unfinished projects:D.

Thanks Frosty!

I was pretty bummed about it, but thanks to some excellent advice from great friends and some who i hope to consider friends someday, I am back to my old self and see it as not a door closing but as another opening.

I will keep looking for my dream shop of a vaulted cathedral ceilinged cave, in a semi extinct volcano with a pit of flowing lava for a forge, the golden handmaidens/forge assistants of hephaistus, 1500 pound anvil set 6 feet into the ground and 3 1/2 feet above, a nasmyth steam hammer supplied with endless steam from said volcano, a smelting operation heated from said volcano, with a few other accoutrements:D.

Moving to the big island then?

Before I built my current (under construction) shop I looked at every building with an eye to it's potential as a shop.

One of my fantasy ideals is a cave or stone masonry building with a waterfall just outside the door, a coal seam on the other side of the door or maybe at the back of the cave and a big old scrap yard an easy walk away.

There's a waterfall or fast creek in almost all my fantasy shops.

Good hunting, I'm sure there's somebody near by that has a perfect shop s/he's had trouble renting out and you'll get a killer deal. Maybe they've been looking for someone to make them some extensive wrought iron accoutrements and will be happy to do a swap.

Seeing as we're engaging in fantasy. Though I DO know of a couple similar patronage situations.

Frosty

Lava generally has way too much sulfur to make a good forging heat source!

I'd go with the stream with a 20' drop. I once found the place I wanted. Had the stream with apx 20' drop and a cave nearby, we went 3 hours into the cave and never found an end to it and almsot all of that was walking tall not belly crawl. (Not a commercial cave, we found it one day from looking at the Topos and saying "you know there ought to be a cave around here".

My other dream shop location was an abandoned underground limestone mine with multiple 40" square openings over a steel drop to a stream and the inside open with several football fields of space. Then they put the interstate through the property, sigh.

Nice looking hammer heads, Sam. Ya gonna put any handles on these?? ;)

Sorry for the dig, Sam. I couldn't resist :) I have watched your progress over the last couple years and have seen it improve to far surpass anything I have pulled out of my forge. Keep up the good work and good luck in you endeavors. Hey, and put a handle on SOMETHING!! LOL

No prob Dodge:D. Thanks very much, but don't you dare sell yourself short! Once I take a few most enjoyable weekends off, I will setup the little brake drum forge and get these beasts HT'd! Then I should have the grinder setup also, so I can get some handles done as well, these are going pretty quick and I gotta get them finished!