I Forge Iron

First forged gates

I have been doing fabricated steel pieces for years and had been adding in forged details now and again. I recently got this job for a pair of gates that I forged everything for. Then the customer came back and wanted acanthus leaves on it and I did't forge them but modified some bought ones. It is the only piece of the gate I am not happy with, should have made them myself. I also made the french curve, handle, and latch.

6501.attach

6502.attach

Very nice.

I think part of the problem with the acanthus leaves is they weren't in the design to start with. They look like they were put on as an afterthought.

All in all though I like it a lot, especially the latch mech.

Well done.

Frosty

Looks great! I saw these when you posted them on SFT. I wanted to ask about the leaves. I really want to make leaves like that, but haven't been able to see the steps in my head yet. (well, maybe I have seen the steps in my head, it just isn't 100% there yet, I should spend more time practicing..) Anyone know any good resource that outlines the process?

Regional, good to see a fellow SFTer here. I was a little afraid of the leaves as far as time/quality were concerned and the premade ones were cheap and quick. Now that I have seen the premade ones and found a print on making them I wish I had spent more time and made them myself. If I have a chance over the next few months I'll likley make a few for grins before the next time I need them.

I like the gates ! and the premade leaves arnt the best... but the overall gates are still nice ! ya learned and did the customer like um? if it was what they wanted and ya got paid what you wanted then GREAT! next time ya know to make your own leaves!!! have fun!!!

I really want to make leaves like that, but haven't been able to see the steps in my head yet. Anyone know any good resource that outlines the process?

For those with high speed internet access (and the inclination of course) I have an acanthus 'how to' video on YouTube url...

YouTube - The Forged Acanthus Leaf

It's a bit rough around the edges but it conveys the general idea.

• 2 years later...

I have been doing fabricated steel pieces for years and had been adding in forged details now and again. I recently got this job for a pair of gates that I forged everything for. Then the customer came back and wanted acanthus leaves on it and I did't forge them but modified some bought ones. It is the only piece of the gate I am not happy with, should have made them myself. I also made the french curve, handle, and latch.

Could i possibly get 1 or 2 more pictures of this latch design? Possible from a different angle?