I Forge Iron

Forged Hacksaw Help

Anyone out there have any information or photos of any hand forged hacksaw frames? I am beginning to think through one and would like to see some examples or read up on what others have done...

I think I am going to order the back issue of Blacksmiths Journal on it too...

Thanks.
Peyton

A quick search in the gallery showed that rthibeau did a couple. I'm sure, with the talent that is on this site, more will share.

Good luck! And remember to post your pics. There are others of us out here who want to try this also.

Mitch

DSCF0791.JPG

Decide on what size blade or what blade material you're going to use, then design the size of the frame around that. Broken band saw blades can be cut to size or use store bought blades. I used small bolts to fasten the blade to the frame. Also, the tensioner can be just a bolt through the front end.

Peyton / Glenn. I too have been thinking of forging a hacksaw. I read somewhere that a heavier frame like 3/4" made the saws work and feel better than the cheesy storebought ones you get nowdays. What about making it the June project? Maybe that would motivate me to quit thinking about making one, and actually making one. I would love to see what some of y'all come up with if you were to forge them.

Jr.
That is how I want to do it. I want it very simple but usable. Our guild has an upcoming trade item that is a forged tool...so I thought this would be a good lesson for me on a lot of different levels. I want to make as much of it as possible...except for the blade. I want it to be as few pieces as possible and nothing really ornate.

Simple and Usable is where I want to go with this. Maybe even based off of an antique??...??? Don't know. But I am determined to start on it this Saturday during the "Blacksmith Day" event thing going on at Mike's shop through Antracit...
http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f7/blacksmith-day-may-24-th-2008-a-5864/

Thanks for all the help so far guys..keep it coming. I need all the help I can get! LOL!

Peyton

I have heard Francis Whitaker quoted as once saying "Steal with your eyes."

That's why they have pictures on Ebay ;)

Also, Google for antique tools. You can find some good examples on the various auction sites and such.

Forgot my picture... I'll post it tomorrow

Don

I have heard Francis Whitaker quoted as once saying "Steal with your eyes."

Don

EXACTLY!

Years ago, before the internet I used to look for blacksmiths when on vacation in the lower 48. I was frequently amused when a smith didn't want to show me how he made something because he didn't want me to steal HIS secret.

While s/he may have a better way of making something I can still make one of my own. Sure, there're a FEW genuine must know tricks out there but no real secrets.

I like to keep graph paper on hand to make sketches as well as a camera. Combine both a photo and a quick sketch for reference or to show hard to see details and you've captured the thing.

Frosty

Peyton, one of the saws I made was just a length of 3/4" rebar, tapered on the front end with a flat spot for a bolt to go through to hold and tension the blade, and twisted on the back end for the handle, one piece. And a heavier saw, to a limit, does cut better.

Here's the one I made a couple years ago:

hacksaw3.jpg

I think I started with a piece of 1" x 3/16" flat. The hardest part of the whole job was filing the flat sided hole for the tension screw to go through.

I have been meaning to carve or turn a decent handle for it... I robbed that one from an old linoleum knife.

I simply modify new blades to fit with my Dremel tool. A little thinner or acetone to take the paint off, and the blade looks and works great.

Don

ML,

How do you like having the handle in-line with the blade as opposed to the more common perpendicular/angled to the blade?

First of all, I was blantantly ripping off an original when I made this, so my handle is where it's at because that's where it was on the example.

That said, I commonly cut 1/2" stock, some bigger, mostly smaller, and it works as good as any modern short hacksaw I have used. It'll zip thru 1/4" one-handed with little effort. If I'm on something bigger, I will grip the front of the frame and cut two-handed.

I work in an 1756-60 historic shop, so this one was made to fit the period. It's one of those things that you didn't know you needed until you get it... then you can't do without it.

Thanks,

Don