I Forge Iron

Chunk of Steel? I say anvil!

Cannon Cocker

I cut this chunk of steel (16"L X 3"W X 6"H) off of a larger plate at work for the purpose of using is as an anvil.  I then clamped it down in the mill and trued up the edges.  I thought about turning a cone on the lathe and making a horn that would weld on higher than flush and then machining it down to level so that I would have a tapered transition.  However I have not done that yet.  My plan now is to make a horn that goes in the 1" square hardy hole that I welded on the end.  Do any of you have any thoughts on that?  Or other suggestions for additions/tools for the anvil?

forging1.thumb.jpg.53fb3efb0bbd4a41b352dad30c953bf1.jpg 

The Hardy tool that is installed in this picture is a splitting axe head that I cut in half.  I originally wanted the blade off of it for a hot cutter, then I looked at the back half and thought it would be good for drawing out steel if it were rounded a bit and the handle hole could be dished out to use as a makeshift swage for leaves and the like.  So I made it a two sided hardy tool.  I'm just kind of playing around trying to figure out how to make the tools out of what I have available.   Again any suggestions would be welcomed! 

7 minutes ago, SLAG said:

For easier searching  the hammer that T. P.  mentions is called a "Gandy Dancer".

SLAG.

Thank you for that but of knowledge Slag

12 minutes ago, SLAG said:

For easier searching  the hammer that T. P.  mentions is called a "Gandy Dancer".

SLAG.

Slag, I just searched that and it appears that the "Gandy dancer" is not actually the hammer, but the slang term for the men who laid track by hand. 

3 minutes ago, Cannon Cocker said:

Oooh! Slag has a new title, "The But of Knowledge!"

I do soooo love a good straight line and typos are an always generous font. 

Frosty The Lucky.

"But of knowledge".

OUCH!

And I cannot blame it on the keyboard.  No one would believe me.  Sigh!

Frosty,  thank you very much for pointing out that typo.

C. C.  I am wrong. 

Incidentally Mr. Gandy was a major investor in nineteenth century railroads in the western U.S.A.

SLAG.

7 hours ago, SLAG said:

The railroad hammer is called a "spike maul".

SLAG.

Yep. And how good were those fettlers of old. To swing one of those hammers with a face no larger than the spike you're hitting is something of an art. Although, I have made a lot of bottle openers from spikes that look as though not all hits were 100% accurate.

• 5 months later...