Sudsii

I NEED HELP. With my foundry furnace

Recommended Posts

Obviously u haven’t watched YouTube a lot cause everything is on there and teachers use YouTube to learn anything they want like woods teachers use it for projects science teachers use it to show anything in detail so ya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If all you know is what is on YouTube, how do you know what isn't on YouTube?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And hopefully the teachers know enough to be able to judge between the wheat and the chaff on youtube.

How do you judge what is right and what is wrong but is portrayed as being right on youtube?   (We have this discussion fairly regularly.) I really would like to know how you figure out that plaster and sand forge linings on youtube  is bovine waste products.

Do you work for free?   The suggestion that we should work for free seems rather one sided.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr.  Sudsii,

There are a fair number of smiths on this site that are dyslexic. Me included.

But we manage. Especially, when we want smith and foundry information.

Beware of you tube.

ANYONE can post a video on that site. Some of the videos are dangerous.

We have lists of knowledgeable, reputable video authors That post on you tube.

Also, the posts on this site are read by many and erroneous information are quickly corrected.

SLAG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is very basic and general, but maybe you can find information that will help you safely do what you want to do.

There's a difference between a forge and a foundry furnace

if you want to heat steel to forging temperature and hit it with a hammer into various shapes, you'll need a forge. Lots of ways of building one here, as others have pointed out, with photos and detailed descriptions. While there are a lot of steps, the instructions are usually very clear and to the point.

If you want to melt metal, you need a foundry furnace. Again, you've been given links on how to find instructions on how to build such a tool, make a mold, etc., even though this site is more about forging and blacksmithing than foundry work. You can also buy a small foundry furnace and other tools for aluminum casting from Lost & Foundry or other sellers.

Either activity is dangerous, especially for the clueless. For example, if you melt metal, how do you know the crucible you're using won't shatter and spill hot metal on your feet? Or what happens if you don't use the correct tools to handle the crucible for pouring? How do you know the metal you're metling isn't zinc, which gives off fumes that can kill you.

As I recall, you wanted to melt some kind of metal and cast a tool. My apologies if I am mis-remembering. Please be aware that the chances are you won't be melting steel and casting it, not without some experience working with other materials. Most home foundry work starts with melting aluminum, which is still dangerous as you're working with temperature over 1000-degrees F.

Alec Steele (who is a member of IFI) has youtube videos on his attempts at foundry work, including building a foundry furnace and a visit to a local foundry. Alec is a blacksmith based in the UK and doesn't shy away from showing how hard and dangerous forge and foundry work is, yet retains his sense of humor.

Finally, I'm a professional filmmaker. If you want to come up with the money to hire my production company to produce the videos you want, I'd be happy to discuss budgets, though please be aware that I don't work with people who are xxxxxxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2018 at 3:37 PM, JHCC said:

If all you know is what is on YouTube, how do you know what isn't on YouTube?

There is 1.5 billion videos on YouTube what isn’t on YouTube 

On 7/5/2018 at 4:06 PM, ThomasPowers said:

And hopefully the teachers know enough to be able to judge between the wheat and the chaff on youtube.

How do you judge what is right and what is wrong but is portrayed as being right on youtube?   (We have this discussion fairly regularly.) I really would like to know how you figure out that plaster and sand forge linings on youtube  is bovine waste products.

Do you work for free?   The suggestion that we should work for free seems rather one sided.

The reason I found it is for cheap forges so that’s why plaster and sand came up cause there cheap and I don’t work for free Walmart (11.35 hour) construction (17.25 hour) driving tractors (25.15 hour) so no not for free and when did I say you should work for free 1 video is easy with the time your spending replying on here you could make a video and get payed from it so what do you mean

On 7/5/2018 at 4:23 PM, SLAG said:

Mr.  Sudsii,

There are a fair number of smiths on this site that are dyslexic. Me included.

But we manage. Especially, when we want smith and foundry information.

Beware of you tube.

ANYONE can post a video on that site. Some of the videos are dangerous.

We have lists of knowledgeable, reputable video authors That post on you tube.

Also, the posts on this site are read by many and erroneous information are quickly corrected.

SLAG.

Okay so tell me what would you use to line your gas forge

On 7/5/2018 at 5:00 PM, Ohio said:

This is very basic and general, but maybe you can find information that will help you safely do what you want to do.

There's a difference between a forge and a foundry furnace

if you want to heat steel to forging temperature and hit it with a hammer into various shapes, you'll need a forge. Lots of ways of building one here, as others have pointed out, with photos and detailed descriptions. While there are a lot of steps, the instructions are usually very clear and to the point.

If you want to melt metal, you need a foundry furnace. Again, you've been given links on how to find instructions on how to build such a tool, make a mold, etc., even though this site is more about forging and blacksmithing than foundry work. You can also buy a small foundry furnace and other tools for aluminum casting from Lost & Foundry or other sellers.

Either activity is dangerous, especially for the clueless. For example, if you melt metal, how do you know the crucible you're using won't shatter and spill hot metal on your feet? Or what happens if you don't use the correct tools to handle the crucible for pouring? How do you know the metal you're metling isn't zinc, which gives off fumes that can kill you.

As I recall, you wanted to melt some kind of metal and cast a tool. My apologies if I am mis-remembering. Please be aware that the chances are you won't be melting steel and casting it, not without some experience working with other materials. Most home foundry work starts with melting aluminum, which is still dangerous as you're working with temperature over 1000-degrees F.

Alec Steele (who is a member of IFI) has youtube videos on his attempts at foundry work, including building a foundry furnace and a visit to a local foundry. Alec is a blacksmith based in the UK and doesn't shy away from showing how hard and dangerous forge and foundry work is, yet retains his sense of humor.

Finally, I'm a professional filmmaker. If you want to come up with the money to hire my production company to produce the videos you want, I'd be happy to discuss budgets, though please be aware that I don't work with people who are xxxxxxxxx.

Okay so ya I’m making a foundry furnace then but every time I look people call them forges or even kilns and the tool needs to punch a hole in cans so I don’t need to melt steel aluminum is fine and now finally when did I say anyone needs a professional film company to make a YouTube video you can make it with your phone not hard trust I’ve done it so why would anyone pay for a filmer for a YouTube video 

Edited by Mod44
language

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there can be 5 billion wrong videos there---how do you find the 5 right ones?

 You exhibit well the arrogance of adolescence.  Perhaps you could review the youtube videos on the Dunning-Kruger effect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Volume is no guarantee of either quality or comprehensiveness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spend a few years reading on here. Anything and everything. And you will understand what is Not on youtube. Most of yt is a vast wasteland of pointless stuff. There are also videos showing bad information from those with a camera that dont know better and a slim few with Good info. You'll  never know the difference without more knowledge by Reading through peer reviewed sites like this one. ( as far as forging and a little casting) and as you seem to be interested in casting, The site Thomas pointed you to. Watching vids gives you a little info. READING UP On a peer reviewed site lets you understand it better and gives you even more info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ThomasPowers said:

there can be 5 billion wrong videos there---how do you find the 5 right ones?

 You exhibit well the arrogance of adolescence.  Perhaps you could review the youtube videos on the Dunning-Kruger effect. 

And you display the mind set of a know it all old man that’s past his time. This isn’t just about you I hate the older generation hating on the newer ones for little to no reason say the way we kids do things are wrong, no we do things the way we believe is right and 9/10 times it works just as well or better I’m not asking for something super confusing just tell me what you recommend for gas forges (fire blanket, fire bricks) etc I’m really annoyed with your negativity towards somthing that has changed the way people do things 

4 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Volume is no guarantee of either quality or comprehensiveness.

I understand that but I’m saying everything is on YouTube and for one bad video there’s one excellent one

 

5 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Spend a few years reading on here. Anything and everything. And you will understand what is Not on youtube. Most of yt is a vast wasteland of pointless stuff. There are also videos showing bad information from those with a camera that dont know better and a slim few with Good info. You'll  never know the difference without more knowledge by Reading through peer reviewed sites like this one. ( as far as forging and a little casting) and as you seem to be interested in casting, The site Thomas pointed you to. Watching vids gives you a little info. READING UP On a peer reviewed site lets you understand it better and gives you even more info. 

At this point I could care less about reading I just want one person to say use this this and this in this sequence and you’ll be golden and that’s all I ever asked I didn’t want info I like learning myself I’ll drill a hole in the side to put the tiger torch in and put coal at the bottom and have a lid with abit of ventilation about the size of a pop can and I’ll be fine for awhile

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sudsii said:

And you display the mind set of a know it all old man that’s past his time.

You will get Nowhere here with that attitude. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

You will get Nowhere here with that attitude. 

I don’t want to have that attitude I hate being like that but I feel like I’m getting attacked first for the way I did it secondly for the YouTube thing and third because I’m a “youngin” which is basically what he said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I teach beginning smithing to folks from single digits into their 80's with lots of college age students in the mix; you are dead wrong that 90% of the time they come up with better ways. How would you know that anyway? 105% of made up statistics on the internet are wrong after all. Shoot I once got called in to help a Metallurgy Professor who's son was trying to forge a project for his school class.

We have already told you multiple times where to find out what's best for lining a foundry, gave you the links to it, showed how to search for it.

Actually I said a truism; adolescents tend to assume they know more than they do; I certainly did; my kids certainly did and I expect my grandkids will as well.   I can show you some of the scars from my learning things the hard way. I would prefer others not need to repeat my mistakes but rather go on and make new and improved mistakes that I can learn from.  Knowing this tendency gives you an edge as you can take it into account when doing things.

Some of the greatest things I have learned are:  Research First, Build Later and The cheap way is often the most expensive way.

Perhaps it's time to stop.  Moderators?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, for every good video, there are THOUSANDS of bad ones.

Listen, YOU came here and asked US for help. We have told you the very best way to get the knowledge you need -- a way that has been tested over and over again by people of EVERY age: READ. ALL the information you have asked is here at your fingertips. Answers to questions that you don't even know enough to know that you'll be needing to ask. 

We want YOU to succeed. We also know that just giving you the oversimplified answers that you THINK you need will NOT help you in the long run. 

You have a choice between what is CONVENIENT and what is HELPFUL. Stop choosing the first. Choose the second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I teach beginning smithing to folks from single digits into their 80's with lots of college age students in the mix; you are dead wrong that 90% of the time they come up with better ways. How would you know that anyway? 105% of made up statistics on the internet are wrong after all. Shoot I once got called in to help a Metallurgy Professor who's son was trying to forge a project for his school class.

We have already told you multiple times where to find out what's best for lining a foundry, gave you the links to it, showed how to search for it.

Perhaps it's time to stop.  Moderators?

Just stop messaging to me simple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't you realize that this is an open forum and we are not messaging just you but to the entire world?  Your posts are just the springboard to address things that others may need to consider but are too shy to post. Yes it's not all about you; I hope this makes you feel better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What he said. Your post is Not all about YOU!. It is about what you are asking but in this forum it is a world wide forum that is more than just you. There Are others that will search and find this if in a similar situation and looking for Good answers and will learn from this because bad info ( and attitudes) doesn't travel far here. You are best to follow the guidance youve been given then more than welcome to come back with questions on what you've found from that. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Youtube was founded February 14, 2005; 13 years ago.  I seriously wonder what the world did for information before that date, without yourtube.

 

May I respectfully suggest that you learn to read on a level you are comfortable with, in order to do research for the information you seek. Many suggestions, and links have been given here. Yes, it is frighten to be given a link to Smelting, Melting, Foundry, and Casting with 3906 posts, to Burners 101 with 1,162 posts, to Forges 101 with 750 posts, and T Burner Illustrated Directions with 219 posts. This is where the information you seek is located.

As to age, we have had a member of the site WORK at a forge, hammering hot metal, when they were 6 years old. That individual then gave international demonstrations on blacksmithing when he was 9 years old. He purchased an anvil with his own money, that he earned by blacksmithing, on or before he was a teenager. 

If you would like information, ask those that know what they are doing, have done it, and are willing to see the fire in your belly that you want to learn. If you show respect you will get respect in return. Respect never goes out of style.  If you learn better visually, then go to the events where they use a foundry and cast metals. Search out and take classes. You are only limited by your decision to stop learning.

This thread is now closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.