I Forge Iron

Advice : Sunlar Electric Blacksmith Forge Blower

I did my researches but I didn't find on the subject...

It seems good for the price,... the reviews are good, as this one

«I got this blower a couple weeks ago and have forged with it a few times since then. It will definitely work for your average blacksmith using coal. I’m using it to replace a champion 400 hand crank and it outperforms that despite a lower CFM rating. Unless you’re running an enormous forge this will produce enough air for you. At the highest setting it will almost blow the fire out of the fire pot.

Speaking of power, I’d highly highly recommend this blower be installed with an electric variable speed control. Properly tuned in, it will just maintain the fire and be literally silent at the lowest level. You could use a blast gate or just the choke on the blower itself, but I think you’re sacrificing performance if you do.

I struck one star from this review because despite being cast aluminum the blower feels fairly cheap, and I’m not sure how long it will last. The impeller and motor inside are slightly under engineered compared to squirrel cage fans in the same price range, but the upside of choosing this is that you’re getting an actual centrifugal blower instead of a fan. I’ll see how long it lasts, but right now it works well and I’m happy with the purchase. This is the cheapest real forge blower on the internet as far as I know.»

Somebody on IFI tried it ??

61ZvPDLDQqL._SX425_.jpg.4b8d3a3078de36fd81dca780de6f16fa.jpg

It sells for less than $100 USD. ( $189 Cnd)

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

The thread is a little old, but for anyone interested I happened to purchase one and it works fine.  I find it noisy though, but I have nothing to compare it to.  Really too much air for my ribbon burner (19 crayon sized holes, 2.5" pipe from blower to burner).  I'm looking for something quieter, or maybe just put a box over it.  Can't really use a variable speed switch, cause when my compressor kicks on the fan slows down if not at full power - big flames billowing out of the forge mouth, lots of fun!

I saw one of these at Quad State and have been recommending them for Ribbon Burner Forges.  I did not see if the motor has replaceable brushes (like an angle grinder, the 2 plastic screws usually at the back).  If it does not using a rheostat will probably burn it out soon.  Would someone check this and post the results?

• 2 months later...
On 1/12/2019 at 6:44 AM, WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith said:

I saw one of these at Quad State and have been recommending them for Ribbon Burner Forges.  I did not see if the motor has replaceable brushes (like an angle grinder, the 2 plastic screws usually at the back).  If it does not using a rheostat will probably burn it out soon.  Would someone check this and post the results?

It's a capacitive start motor, therefore, NO brushes. GROUND the CASE there IS a shock hazard since it is not using a 3 prong AC plug.

(30 years as an Electronics Field Engineer says I have the creds to say GROUND the case!)

Welcome to IFI! If you haven't yet, please READ THIS FIRST!!!

1 minute ago, Donald Goldsmith said:

(30 years as an Electronics Field Engineer says I have the creds to say GROUND the case!)

Steve Sells (who commented above) is a Master Electrician, and equally given to cautions against playing dangerous games with electricity. You two should get along.