I Forge Iron

How exactly should I attach a leg to this

PalmettoForger

Good Morning,

A Post Vice would have the ability to transfer effort through it's base (post) to a base support.

That is a nice looking Combination Vice, with the ability to potentially mount it to a swivel base. It is not a Post-Vice.

It will do a lot of work for you, just don't Hammer on it.

Neil

The idea of a combination vice is to be able to hammer on the little anvil at the back and have a vice to hold things at the same time. Not particularly useful for blacksmithing, may be of some value in a metal workshop, farm barn or mechanic shop for small items. It's an old idea and there are many combination vice with the most bizarre concepts. 

Modifying it to a post vice is not practical. Post vices are forged steel and are designed to withstand a lot of abuse.

However ... if you mean to say that you want to mount your vice on a post, that is possible. You can either weld a square tube to a base or concrete it in the ground and mount your vice on top of it.  Just don't go hammering on the moving jaw. 

As for mounting the vice, because it is missing the base, you may be able to use the threaded lug and perhaps drill a couple of holes in the base to bolt it down. 

How are we supposed to know what you plan to do and how you plan to do it if you don't tell us?    My truck was in a wreck can I drive it?

I find machinists vises quite handy in knifemaking and of little use in most blacksmithing. The pipe jaws may be useful IFF you do things that need them.  (For example I currently have 8 postvises mounted for work and 1 machinist vice of course that includes 3 different locations...but all in the same state.)

A combination bench vise missing the base. If you want it to turn you'll need to make a bridge plate to mount it to. Think channel iron wide enough to support it completely. The space under the channel will let you get to the nut that locks it. Otherwise drill a hole the center pin will fit through and pin or thread and put a lock nut on it. The pivoting option would require threading the pin too.

Good score, vises are handy things. NO HAMMERING harder than straightening nails or bending 14 ga. strips over.

Frosty The Lucky.