I Forge Iron

new to the forum

Luna

Hello my name is Luna Baker and I am new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself in hopes of finding others near my home in Wiggins, Mississippi who are interested in learning as I am.  I have been lurking in the shadows for a while reading and learning and I would like to move forward with that more formally.  I am a certified shade tree engineer, born into a financially embarrassed family, so I am comfortable making my tools and making do.  I am a borderline hoarder who has sworn not to sell his junk iron pile ever again ( you will need the very thing you sold the very next day ) so I gots stuff to work with.  I am self taught and I can turn my hand to most anything which just means I prolly got lots to un-learn.  A born knife nut but as I have got older I like to build things people can use from the scrap I find ( we waste so much these days ) I stand ready to learn or un-learn as the case may be.

JHCC,  I read that first      Glen,  The meeting place for the MFC is a two hour drive for me, I have also looked at the GCBA which is closer.  I will go where I need to, but was looking for someone in the Gulfport or Hattisburg areas if possible.  Like everyone else job and life do get in the way and someone closer means I can attend more often.

Welcome aboard Luna. 

Ah yes, the old " need it as soon as you sell or get rid of it". I've been there. 

I'm sure if you've been reading up on here that you can get started easily and inexpensively and having a scrap pile helps. ;)

Welcome aboard Luna, glad to have you. Many if not most of us here are packrats with large "resource" accumulations. Deb doesn't yell as long as it can't be seen from the house. The trick I have for sneaking around for the un-natural law that says "you won't need a thing till you sell it," is to have at least two, one to sell one to use. A similar trick worked when I was driving beaters and riding snow machines, "one to drive and one dead one." Your car/truck/snow machine, etc. is always dead/broken down." So keep one dead one so the other one will keep working. It doesn't work so well if both run, then you never know when the one you're driving will break down. 

I believe this little fact of life is an iteration of the, Non Reciprocating Law. "Mention something good and it'll never happen. Mention something bad and it'll happen immediately." I could be wrong though. :ph34r:

So, what do you want to make?

Frosty The Lucky.

I already have a forge or two or three or four, and what do I want to make, well everything of course.  I tend towards things people can use and that will out-live me.  I forged my first knife over a corncob fire as a teen but never really got serious till lately.  Been mostly make-do for years with the most serious lack being a real anvil so last Christmas I gave up and made myself one and wouldn't you know it now the darn things are falling out of the sky.  Four months ago I found a colonial anvil looks like a Alsop, shortly after another anvil only says warranted on the side without the horn and a couple more homemades to add to my collection of track anvils.  Right now I am playing with the JABOD ideas and love the darn things it really apeals to my "do wit what you got" upbringing.

Mr Stevens it is far far tooo late to run

Mr. Frosty,

You have gifted us with a genius observation.

Namely,

the, Non Reciprocating Law. "Mention something good and it'll never happen. Mention something bad and it'll happen immediately." " I could be wrong though. "

You are NOT wrong. You   ARE  inspired.

SLAG.