I Forge Iron

Fischer #4 double screw vise

Michael Gallagher

C8A8080D-6C70-4A2A-B8A5-C7912E84F222.thumb.jpeg.a8d102f6be00245d82e7ec6ea110061b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpg.404eea8c4e2fa5930e12877657f85c7b.jpg

So a few days ago I came across what I just thought was a over sized vise, I knew it had age to it but didn’t know anything else about it. With some research I found out that I had a 1934 Fischer #4 double screw vise. For its age I’d say it’s in pretty good shape. Only noticeable flaw is the top screw is stripped about 4” closest to the front. Looking to see if anyone here has some more knowledge on the history of the vise and maybe what the big guy is worth! I appreciate any info y’all can give me on the tool! 

We don't usually consider blacksmithing equipment old till it's in the 1700's  so 1934 is young and it shows more wear on that screw than vises I've seen from 100 years earlier! (The problems of making value judgements on things you are not familiar with---however the jaws look very nice indeed!)

Price would be extremely location specific---which you don't give.  Over 100 different countries participate here on the world wide web. The stripped area makes it problematical for both uses and collectors...

So I’m not very knowledgeable in the blacksmith field as you can see. Understood that it’s indeed not that old. 1933 sounds pretty old when your 26 lol and with out a doubt the oldest tool I own. Is there any way to fix the top screw or should I not touch it? The vise is located here in south jersey. 

The screw is a goner. How is the screw box (nut) ? Those can be turned new in a machine shop, but it is kind of hard to do, that is why they mostly stopped using square threads. 

I was wondering if the screw could be repaired by rebuilding that section only and cut a new thread. Speak to a turner. But don't go spending too much, it is not like you have a Stradivarius. 

Or find someone that works only on large stuff....

I have an anvil from 1828 and a postvise from before 1800; they still get used, *gently*, but would hate to hurt their feelings by telling them they are too old to work---shoot I am the oldest member of the engineering team I work with---by 20 years or so! (That includes my Boss...)

On 6/10/2018 at 10:43 PM, MarkDobson said:

correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt you have to either match the old screw perfectly or replace both since they are chained together? also, how are those gears connected to the screw?

Any screw, new or old needs to be 'matched perfectly', in order to work. That is why they have standard sizes. Standard diameter and standard thread pitch or thread count. 

It is possible yet unlikely that those screws are of some random pitch, as opposed to standard thread count, but any machinist worth his salt can cut a square screw and copy any thread count within reason. Time consuming but not rocket science. The question here is not if it can be done, but if it is worth doing.

Meaning, will the new screw cost more than the vice ... a different version of: the collar is worth more than the dog :)

They are not just a square thread, at least on mine, they are some sort of butress thread.  In working condition they sell for between $500 and $1k usd.  The one above does not seem to have the lower movable jaw support that passes thru the rear leg making a total of 3 different patterns of the same size that I have seen.