I Forge Iron

140# Baby Rhino

I can offer only a little feedback on the 140# Rhino.  I used one in a two day smithing class a couple years ago.  For the most part during that class we all used the 240# Rhino's as they were in closer proximity to the forges.  In both cases I was very impressed with the durability, function, and price point of these anivil's.  I had intended to buy the 240# version and was saving money when my dog ate all the chewable doggy aspirin in my hunting bag, it cost much more than a new anvil to save her life.  Later on I got a much used Peter Wright for free and have stayed with it for now.

TY  Iron Dragon.  I have been lurking here for months.  i used the "Gas Forge"  thread to research my Forced air forge I build last Oct. It seems to be that the info you get from FB pages is all over the map. I think 80% of the repies are from people who dont know crap1  Way to much misinformation be thrown out there.  I found good soild info here.  There are a few here that know what they are talking about.  That being said I thought it best I return here for solid info on my next project.

Stockmaker,  TY  for the feed back.  I am in the Tacoma area. Shipping would be about the same cost as driving over the hill, less the 10-12 hour drive time. Not many anvils in that weight to price catigory out there on the market.  Seems like the sweet spot for my budget.  The special alloy used to forge this Rhino caught my attention.

Holland Anvils is starting to cast anvils in H13, but like you said shipping would add a bit. I have yet to use a Nimba, but everyone that I have seen post about them says that are excellent anvils. Picking up yourself, lifetime warranty, and excellent quality sounds like a no brainer to me - as long as the shape works for you. The double horn is one I would like to try out sometime.

When you say midrange weight, what is the range you are looking specifically?  To me a medium weight anvil would be in the 200#-300# range. Under 120# tiny, 120#-199# small and over 300# large.

Mid range to me would be approx. 125#-180ish.  I have no need for something over 200#.  I looked at the Nimba. He is also semi local. Not crazy about the double horn shape. But it is still on my radar.

I have a 125# JHM Journeyman, and it is a nice anvil. Ductile iron.

Not sure on the weights available but here are some other makers I know of; JHM, Jymm Hoffman, Ridgid, Holland Anvils

The only new manufacture anvil I own is the JHM, and I got that used from a retired farrier. My other ones are the usual suspects Fisher, Hay Budden, Soderfors, Peter Wright, Vulcan. I am glad I got mine when $1 a pound was the going rate (up until just a few years ago around here).  The JHM Journeyman is a farrier anvil but it has more of a smithing shape then most farrier patterned anvils do. They run around $700 today.

Good Morning, Peppie

You live in an area that is a center of the North West Blacksmith Association. The Spring Conference was 2 weeks ago in Longview. They have a get together in Longview on the last Sunday of the month. Swaptoberfest is in October, check out their web-site, blacksmith.org  There will be all kinds of Anvils for sale, Try it out first if you want. The Nimba Anvil is excellent, made in Washington. Give the boys a call in Port Townsend, go for an hour drive and try one out.

If you put your location in your Avatar, people will see your location of shadow. There are a pile of Blacksmiths in your town.

Neil

3 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

I have a 125# JHM Journeyman, and it is a nice anvil. Ductile iron.

excessive quotes removed

The JHM Journeyman was my first selection. But then I started looking a bit harder, and came up with a couple that were not Ductile iron.  I am not real sure if that is going to make a big difference in the quality and proformance , compared to the alloys used in the Nimba , and the Rhino. I only want to buy once. I dont mind spending a bit more if it will make a differance in proformance and longgevity.  I will do some research on the Holland brand next  TY

3 hours ago, swedefiddle said:

Good Morning, Peppie

You live in an area that is a center of the North West Blacksmith Association. .. More excessive quotes removed

Thanks for the local info.  I plan on getting more active, once I get my shop all tooled up. Retierment is comming in about 2 1/2 years.  I believe this hobby will suit me well.

Yesterday I consulted the Rhino anvil site. 

I was curious about the asking price for their "baby rhino".

I could not find a price.

I did come across a note to e-mail them for a price.

Sorry folks. 

Does the price rise and fall with the daily spot price of west Texas crude?

Seriously,   life is short and I've run out of most of the patience I was born with. (which wasn't too much to begin with).

Regards to all.

SLAG.

Good Morning, Peppie

Don't wait for a perfect time to join in the fun, Do it now. Nobody will criticize or care if your Boots aren't polished on the bottom.

Start small, make little things, then make little things good, then make little more things, then make little more things good, then............

Neil

On 6/2/2018 at 3:29 PM, Peppie said:

Thanks for the local info.  I plan on getting more active, once I get my shop all tooled up. 

Hello from Granite Falls,WA. Don't wait to get more active. I went to an NWBA meet a while back, and at the time I needed a post vice. A guy came in while I was talking about that and said his friend who buys out storage units had some things to sell. He laid out 3 pictures, anvil, swage block and post vice. I got the 5 in complete and working vice for $100US. Waiting may mean losing opportunity both for tools and the fellowship of other smiths.