I Forge Iron

Good day at the anvil

Had a good day forging today. Here are some of the things I made or project that I completed today.

The bicken was made from the other end of the pick axe that I made the anvil saddle from.

The tenon tool was made using Bill Epps blueprint as my guide. Though the tenon holes are mostly smaller sizes. The largest drill bit I have right now is 3/8".

5998.attach

5999.attach

6000.attach

6001.attach

6002.attach

6003.attach

thats some nice nice work Larry, Im jealous, my day at the forge was productive but not nearly as nice of stuff.

hardy1.jpghooks_and_trammel1.JPGWatercan_and_Hook1.jpg

I desperately needed a hot cut hardy so this is my first attempt i used scrapyard 1x1 1/2 stock for a 1" hardy hole it looks like a piece of dung but it works so much better than a hand held chisel. the fire iron set I made a while ago but the hooks and trammel are new, and I got sick of burning my hand dousing the fire so i made a stick for my can and a hookmto hang it and my forge poker on.

Im jealous, my day at the forge was productive but not nearly as nice of stuff.

That's funny cause I almost always think everyone else's stuff is better than what I can do. I appreciate everyones support though, it makes me feel like I'm starting to "get" it.

I had replaced the handle on my "modified" hammer last week and it has been working great until tonight when the handle broke inside the hammer head on the up swing! Almost had a new hat!

I also made these towel racks for our kitchen today. Right before the hammer went flying!

6010.attach

6011.attach

6012.attach

6013.attach

Nice rack, Larry... lol really though, I understand about everyones elses stuff looking better, I think thats always the case...Im still mostly making items for the smithy so hopefully by the time I get the shop well equipped I'll be puttin out some nice stuff like you are. I've also committed my self to(or at least attempting) to make all my own tooling, Im getting ready to start on makin some tongs, but Im a little nervous as I havent riveted anything yet and have difficulty getting good clean fullers(all the anvill edges are pretty well round, but I think Im gonna make another hardyfuller out of the stock I used for the hot cut.

I'll probably need to add a little more twist to those, at least one of them will fall off on it's own if I'm not careful. I used 1/4" mild steel, wirewheeled to clean off scale then linseed oil. If rust becomes a problem then I may seek out some stainless to rework them with. Maybe an old oven rack?

That's funny cause I almost always think everyone else's stuff is better than what I can do.

I've never made anything that "I" was satisfied with. All I see are the flaws, no matter how few or small. You evidently had a great day the anvil. Good job.

• 6 months later...

I had another good evening of forging tonight, finished a pair of tongs that I've had sitting around for a while, made a new pair of scroll tongs, (pictured here with my last attempt for contrast, the new are the short ones on the right) I also made another beltclip keyhook, which I posted in the (what do you carry thread).

They were still hot in this picture, so I hadn't cleaned them up or polished the scroll tips yet.

9094.attach

9095.attach

Pretty nice pair of tongs Larry. I guess the anvil's working okay too then eh?

I just Google Earthed Tieton, Wa. My folks lived in E. Wenatchee till just a month ago or so. Well, Dad passed away in 05 but Mother and my sister just moved to a suburb of Boise.

Small world eh?

Frosty

Mark, I just have 1 reservation about your hardy. I don't see a shoulder on it to take the blow. I might be wrong. Perhaps I just have old eyes!

Just think if you do not have a shoulder you are effectively driving a wedge ito your hardy hole every time you cut. At best you will have a hard job getting it out- which is not the end of the world but you could crack your anvil! Not trying to tell you how to work I am just putting forward a suggestion.

Philip:

Didn't you intend this reply for the "It Followed Me Home" thread?

I see the shoulder on Mark's new hardy though.

Still it's good advice, it takes surprisingly little to break the heel off an anvil through the hardy hole if a hardy tool wedges and you strike it.

I've never had the experience myself thank goodness but know guys who have.

Frosty

Thanks everyone for your replies, it's always encouraging to have a productive forging session.

Frosty, If I had my druthers at the time, I'd have moved to the Leavenworth / Wenatchee area. But my ex was from this area and my kids are here now so.............But this is a nice area too, we are up out of the valley and close to the mountains with great views. Surrounded by orchards.