I Forge Iron

April/may 2008

Golden_eagle

the last MacGyver challenge was good! how bout this Scenario:

After a hammer-in your camping in the woods also your hungery and can't leave the woods. you have:

A barage of hamers, tongs, a bulldozer (Broke with full gas tank)
1 full 6 foot peace of 1560 spring steel (1in)
600ft 550 cord,
files,
saws and a 12 by 2,
hot cuts,
a full tool box,
an Oxy-gasoline torch (with empty gas tanks),
2/4 in bar (mild)
And arrows with no heads

i would remove a segment of the bulldozer to use as an improvised anvil, then burn the 2x12 into charcoal to forge the spring steel into a bar and attach that to the 2x4 mild steel. i would then connect both ends of the slightly curved steel bar with some chord and forge and file me some arrow heads from the hot cuts. saw a notch to recieve the string on the mild steel bar and viola you got yerelfs a crossbow.

my original idea: (Spoiler- highlite) take the gas out of the bulldozer and fill the Oxy-gasoline torch (Heat), remove a peace of bulldozer for anvil, forge 2/4 in. bar (mild) into arrow heads, cut 2ft. segment of spring steel and file noches, Saw gunstock blank out of 12 X 2, forge U-nails out of some 2/4 in. bar, make bowstring out of 550 cord, forge/bend a trigger mech. out of last of 2/4 in. bar, put it all together and you have a crude crossbow. Or you could just forge a knife and make Snares...

Assuming temperate North American woodland:
Find water. Carry it in an empty gas can back to camp (wash thoroughly first).

Gather firewood (dead standing, dead hanging and dead lying if it's dry). If you need to, split it by hammering a hot cut as a wedge to create orrect amounts of various grades of kindling. Use your knife (no proper toolkit is complete without at least one) to create fuzz sticks if neccesary. Prep your fire and light it using whatever method you want. Use the torch lighter to spark onto some shredded cedar bark, lint or similar tinder you find and light your fire. Boil water in a cut open gas can to kill parasites.

Construct a shelter; the lean-to shelter is a good 'un. The bulldozer is a suitable windbreak and reflector wall. Lash a hot cut onto a suitable stick to use as an axe to trim boughs etc.

YOUR BASIC SURVIVAL NEEDS ARE NOW MET.

Take the inner threads from some 550 cord and set (squirrel poles, rabbit snares etc.), and build whatever other traps you can, though you probably won't trap anything. Forage what food you can and recognise. Operate as large a trapline as you can. If there is water with fish nearby you can set nightlines, fish traps etc.

Take a pipe from the bull and use it as a campfire blowpipe. Heat some steel and use something heavy from the bull as an anvil to forge arrowheads. Cut a bowstave with your saw, split with a hot cut, string with 550 cord and tiller with files. Go huntin', checking your traps as you go.

Once/if you trap or shoot anything tan its hide and make bellows. Dig a ground forge and make yourself a proper axe, plus nails and other useful goodies. Most of your time will though be spent finding food and gathering water.

All going well you now have a lifestyle where you can live comfortably indefinitely :D

That or he watches Survivorman....

This is what i made:

Wrench knife, made out of a size 13 drop forged tiwan wrench.
i sharpend it a week ago to razor and its still razor sharp (the sheath in the picture is shreded denem now)
(sorry about the size... its the smallist one)

6126.attach

• 3 weeks later...
A barage of hamers, tongs, a bulldozer (Broke with full gas tank)
1 full 6 foot peace of 1560 spring steel (1in)
600ft 550 cord,
files,
saws and a 12 by 2,
hot cuts,
a full tool box,
an Oxy-gasoline torch (with empty gas tanks),
2/4 in bar (mild)
And arrows with no heads

*grin* no phone

Hey GE,
I used your wrench idea a little. A bloke in the welding class I am taking thought your idea was really neat (he is a programmer and custom bike fabricator) and asked if I could make him a "glorified letter opener" for his desk. I found a 15/16th combo wrench and played with it.

wrench_knife_1.JPG wrench_knife_2.JPG

he was tickled blue