I Forge Iron

Colorado Springs blacksmith?

ianinsa

hi all. i'm on the scrounge for help here! :P my youngest son, now a 2 2 year old chef has found himself a job in Colorado Springs and is heading there today .He has traveled on holiday to the USA. before with his mom and I  but we have never been to that part of the world.  he has a year long employment contract  so he is set up from that point of view  etc. and i'm asking if someone would be prepared to spend an hour or two to "show him the ropes around town, that is from a locals point of view ,as i'm sure he'll otherwise get all his info from the other contract workers and getting broader spectrum of info as well as meeting locals hes always been a great boon for me! Thanks in advance Ian

Hi Glenn , thanks for posting that, we had looked at that already and i think he is quite aware as to leisure activities etc. he'll probably find the bars too :D i'm thinking of things like local resident knowledge like the dollar store/ is here the best(read cheapest) laundromat is there, Pep'e 's has a half price deal on pizza on Tuesday nights if you join the "dirt bike club" they have great socials every fortnight ,Toby's superstore is a great place to get fresh fish, avoid Bobby's diner their customers are forever causing trouble with outsiders etc.  locations of good and bad food trucks and so forth. i have been most fortunate in my travels with the people i have met  and with what they have shown me and this has been about blacksmiths and so much more! Funny thing is that some of the time you don't realize/recognize the pearl for what it is, at the time. A small example of this would be I visited a smith/artist (Rheese Nimi) and his wife many years ago, when i got there he and his wife had just returned from a day of pickling (something not common here) with friends. i didn't think anything of it at the time but some years later while reminiscing i remembered and thought to give it a try? it is now a regular item in my home. so lessons learnt and friends made isn't life great!

many that come to visit here come for the smithing and yet learn about unusual foods/preparations and making Biltong the Aussies love it.

Ian

It's a meaty subject.

Ian I hope he is aware of the altitude difference and has left a few days in his just arrived schedule to adjust. It's 1839 meters on the flat!

(When I worked for NRAO we had an Observatory in Hawaii where we always had issues with people coming up from sea level to the mountaintop and having altitude problems.)

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

It's a meaty subject.

Ian I hope he is aware of the altitude difference and has left a few days in his just arrived schedule to adjust. It's 1839 meters on the flat!

(When I worked for NRAO we had an Observatory in Hawaii where we always had issues with people coming up from sea level to the mountaintop and having altitude problems.)

wow,  and he's been with me in Johannesburg for the last few weeks at 1753 meters (on the flat) i live just below our local castle which is probably the highest point on the reef  so he probably won't have much of an issue with altitude :D they don't call this the high-veld for nuttin ya know.

2 hours ago, JHCC said:

Is a "Biltong" what a smith uses to hold the stock while forging a billhook?

no! tough Biltong is what you can get if you toughen up tungsten carbide properly :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input though.

Good; I've noticed that as I get older the altitude changes affect me more; of course my first altitude issue was when I graduated college at 200-300 meters and went to a conference in Colorado and a friend took me rock climbing up above Boulder----after dinner. I remembered thinking "This is really stupid" as my vision was narrowing down...and the drop was increasing.

Since then I've been up to 5000 meters in Chile; but that was on the flat...

Ianinsa,

I live about 2 hours North of Colorado Springs, I'm closer to the Wyoming border than I am to Denver (Colorado's Capital City) which is almost perfectly in the middle.  The state is mostly divided by the Rocky Mountain Range which runs North and South.  The "Front range" is the Eastern side of the Mountains, and the "Western Slope" speaks for itself.  Most of the population lives along the Front Range.  

Sadly I wouldn't be much help to your son as I've spent little time in Colorado Springs.  I will say that it's very spread out compared to other Colorado cities.  I think you would really need a car to reasonably function there.  

Speaking as a transplant, I think the general Colorado stuff to know would be as follows:

#1 Wear sunscreen and sunglasses.  We get two less days of sunshine than Miami with WAY more radiation. Skin cancer is a huge problem here.  Office workers wear sunscreen in the winter here.

#2 Most of the state is a high desert plain.  People picture pine covered mountains before they come here, then they're surprised that most Colorado cities are flat, and dry.  People carry large water bottles with them everywhere.

#3 Colorado is a very difficult place to make a living.  Wages are low and rent is high.  It's good to hear your son has a job for his first year. 

#4 Altitude sickness is no joke.  I've seen it drop ironman triathletes who tried to take an easy jog.  It comes on suddenly without much warning.  There isn't much to be done but to get the person to a lower altitude which can be very difficult.  

Good to see you posting again Ian. Funny about Biltong - not really to my taste, but I know some who like it.

If you will allow a slight digression, do you follow the cricket? I imagine we Australians are not flavour of the month over there right now. Something to do with a small square of sandpaper. :o

1 hour ago, ausfire said:

Good to see you posting again Ian. Funny about Biltong - not really to my taste, but I know some who like it.

If you will allow a slight digression, do you follow the cricket? I imagine we Australians are not flavour of the month over there right now. Something to do with a small square of sandpaper. :o

i'm not so sure it had anything to do with small or square? more like they were rubbing someone/something the wrong way.....:P but by Jiminy what an out cry and did they think in this day and age that no-one would see? Twits!

as for the biltong  there must be a Brazil ion ways to make it and a Brazil ion and one ways to change the taste and texture/wetness so mileage may vary .

regards Ian

• 5 months later...