I Forge Iron

Wiley & Russel 2 piece 48" cone

jlpservicesinc

Well yesterday,  I took a drive up into the wilds of VT to pick up a new to me Mandrel Cone...   The weather was furious with freezing rain and temps dipping into the low 20'sF..  It was sure dicey but thankfully I drive an Audi A4 Quattro and still have on my STudded Winter tires..  This car is a snow, slush, ice, eating machine...  One way 185miles,  3+ hours up and 3+hours back with a huge dent in the wallet brought me this chunk of cast iron.. 

I have anvil mounted cones as well as hand held cones but I've done without a full W&R..  Just seemed like the right time.. I contacted the guy and we talked about coming up later in the week but he said outright first come first serve..   The weather report wasn't great later in the day but I figured I could be there after martial arts training between 5-6pm..      I didn't realize just what a Temp difference there was as you moved up towards the Capital.. It dropped from 37F to 22F in an 80mile stretch..   

Well enough of a story.. Here is the cone.. 

20180415_122713.jpg

20180415_122813.jpg

20180415_122923.jpg

11 hours ago, 1forgeur said:

Gonna need a bigger trailer ! ?

40x60with a 20' front shed dormer might do it..

All work space so really more like 40x80x14' side wall.. 2' foundation rise will give me a 16' sidewall, 12' main door..

Having a hard time finding axles right now, but i think i may have found something in the works..  :)

17 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

To make up for the fellow who cuts off highway cones, paints them black and brings them to Quad-State and displays them with a cheap price as a "Gotcha"?

Now I'm getting ideas for casting an anvil out of silicone. "Sure, it's on the light side, but it's got great rebound!"

3 hours ago, JHCC said:

Now I'm getting ideas for casting an anvil out of silicone. "Sure, it's on the light side, but it's got great rebound!"

That would be a costly amount of silly cone..:)

58 minutes ago, 1forgeur said:

Wow. Nice!

Should be.. 4 teaching stations and my work station..  well see how thing work out..

• 2 years later...

700.00 Willey and Russel made a 3 different cones from what I remember..  they made a 1 piece and 2 2piece cones..  the difference being the bottom to top taper. 

Range wise 1000.00 seems to be the most consistent price offered by sellers..   So anything 1000.00 and down is good.. 

I picked up a Wally Yater for 1500.00 over paid market price wise but happy to pay the extra to help out a fellow smith who was kind to me when I was younger putting up with my lunacy. 

20200529_114653.jpg

20200529_114006.jpg

20200529_113846.jpg