I Forge Iron

Type of Forge and Manufacturer

Holder - nice humor on my name :lol:  I get that a lot and knew it would be an interesting screen name though I'm Irish and have never listened to rap music.

You'll want to read up on some of the threads here about dressing hammers.  Not really too bulbous, but what you are trying to avoid is leaving lots of deep scars on the metal that are caused by the often sharpish edges of new store hammers.  When you leave marks like that it can lead to marks that you never get out of the finished piece or worse yet cold shuts that expand into cracks.  Cold shuts are created when two parts of the metal are folded on each other and not forge welded properly into one solid piece of metal (at least that's how I would define it.)  The object of a good hammer is to move the metal leaving a more diffused dent in the hot metal.

Yup, bench grinders don't work.  You'll need an angle grinder and a belt sander.

Thank you for this info, because I would have bought a bench grinder and used it.  You've helped me avoid a grave mistake.   I looked at a rigid side grinder yesterday.  Didn't even think about using it for removing stock.  I've used them to prep our gear for painting.  We worked with tow tractors designed to tow naval air craft like  F-14s, F-18s, and so forth.  Real heavy steel constructed.  I hope a side grinder and an angle grinder are the same.  Tool nomenclatures can vary.  I've attached a photo below.  Is this what you are suggesting?

R10201_1_Final-5x7_72dpi.jpg

16 minutes ago, holder said:

a side grinder and an angle grinder are the same.

Yep, they are the same and come in different diameter disks (4 1/2 & 7 inch are most common. I like the 4 1/2 because it's easier to handle for small work. The one that HF sells is quite serviceable and less expensive than the "name brands".

i don't make knifes, but an angle grinder to shape knifes seems like a poor choice. 

Get yourself a Belt grinder from the many suppliers you have over there. Look for a 2"x 72" belt grinder. Also, bench grinders have belt attachments. Not the same but close to start with. 

Oh ... and before you do, find a knife maker that is willing to teach you the basics. You can not learn much online. Or from "forged in fire" :)

Charles that is a nice looking jig.  And the side grinder...I'm picking it up today at HF.

Glen, the only meeting I may be able to make is the one at Dark Angel in Pompano Beach.  That is less than two hours from my house.  How far do most forgers travel to go to an event?

I found out I will miss the Dark Angel meeting.  The boss has me going to California.  Yes that's right, the land of wild nuts.  I plan to stop off in Texas for a few days to look at some properties.  Planning to move there soon.  Up around McKinney.  I would like to take Swamp Wood with me.  I'll feel like a fish out of water and I don't want to loose my Manphibian status either.

I don't recall the dates but there's a CBA conference going on in Cal. It's a large, active organization that services  most of the west coast. I suppose you COULD build a Swamp Wood room with: water features, rain forest plants, frequent or constant drizzle, etc. and keep the humidity at whatever you webbies like.

Frosty The Lucky.