I Forge Iron

A2 for a hammer eye drift?

Sometimes we are overly explicit and sometimes excessively subtle and some people complain about either way; like any public conversation you are welcome to listen, participate or ignore it.  (These forums have an ignore function, you can add folks whose posts just rub you the wrong way and not even see them in the future!)

I didnt do anything wrong and i get a sarcastic edit to my comment. There is no ignore function that can ignore an administrators edit! What it feels like is someone wanted to be a sarcastic and not let anyone know who it is.  

As mentioned, not going to this site would be an "overriding ignore".

I was once moderated for a typo which annoyed me as I'm not that good a typer; but I decided that this place was worth it and have continued to be active here.  I know I annoy many people  and so try to tell folks about the ignore function so they can participate here without my drivel.

This place is definitely an amazing. Huge amounts of info and some extremely talented people.  I probably shouldnt have taken it so serious but i was trying to help and i end up feeling dumb. Which the comment i made brought up a serious point but it makes me not want to comment any more. 

I may be new to the forum but im not new to working steel and i know about heat treating high carbon steel!

already made hammer eye drifts out of 1.2343 (pretty similar to A2). Afterwards not necessary. hard to forge, narrow  might be mentioned, that the drift can't be cooled while using, neither with water nor with oil. Lubrication only with Uri Hofi's Wax Lube. Due to the air hardening the hitting face of the chisel or whatever has to be soft-annealed carefully. essentially to much effort. 

1.7225 (or 4140) is a pretty versatile steel. pardons a lot, even imprecise heat treatment, but air hardens a bit too. 

"...hard to forge, narrow temperature window for forging..."

On 4/8/2018 at 11:32 AM, JlBlohm said:

This place is definitely an amazing. Huge amounts of info and some extremely talented people.  I probably shouldnt have taken it so serious but i was trying to help and i end up feeling dumb. Which the comment i made brought up a serious point but it makes me not want to comment any more. 

I may be new to the forum but im not new to working steel and i know about heat treating high carbon steel!

Ah, don't sweat it, the mod may not of understood what you meant and they tend to be over cautious rather than miss something unacceptable.  I get edited now and then, sometimes I don't agree, sometimes I slap myself on the head thinking, "I said THAT!!!" :o Occasionally one will try and clarify something and over complicate the post to the point I don't think anybody'll understand or just change the meaning. 

You have to think of Iforge like a cocktail party with about 2,000 out of 45,000 people talking at once. Just imagine you have to ride herd on that many blacksmiths and do your paycheck job.

Frosty The Lucky.

The mod's keep a tight ship..  It's what keeps it organized and family freindly..   JLBlohm, I wouldn't be overly concerned either..   I used to get quizzed quite often but once you become a known entity and show both patience and skill/knowledge they allow you just enough rope to hang yourself.. LOL.. With that said people here also do really well with an apology where needed...  So if something gets said in the heat of discussion or erroneous facts usually a fess up is all it takes..  

On 4/8/2018 at 9:39 AM, JlBlohm said:

Everyone forgot to mention the dangers of striking a piece of steel that is as hard as A2. A chunk of steel could break off and shoot into your leg hitting your femoral artery...you could bleed to death in mere seconds.

It was hinted at

It might have been hinted at but never explained why! Some people might not take that into account. I didnt mean to offend anyone!!!

The more i think about this the more it bothers me.  I dont understand why it was necessary to edit my post.  I didnt do anything wrong i was just trying to be helpful.

The thread was reported and the entire thread has been read. 

IForgeIron pushes safety. We appreciate your comment to remind us that A2 is hard and could produce shrapnel when hit. There were no post edits. The quotes were shortened or removed as it was a discussion on one topic and repeating the same material you just read is not necessary.

JlBlohm, if you have any concerns, contact me directly.

It's been years but yes, Bligh was a heck of sailor and navigator but the company he worked for was only interested in the lost ship, cargo and shipping. 

I don't recall, did he ever command a ship again?

Frosty The Lucky.

The company that assigned Captain Bligh to collect breadfruit, in Polynesia eventually got the plants (in Tahiti). They then tried to flog the breadfruit to plantation owners in the Caribbean.

It was to supposed the slaves and indentured servants.

They encountered a major problem. The intended folks, ("feedants"), did not like the breadfruit and refused to eat it.

Scratch one more business opportunity.

SLAG.

5 hours ago, SLAG said:

The company that assigned Captain Bligh to collect breadfruit, in Polynesia eventually got the plants (in Tahiti). They then tried to flog the breadfruit to plantation owners in the Caribbean.

It was to supposed the slaves and indentured servants.

They encountered a major problem. The intended folks, ("feedants"), did not like the breadfruit and refused to eat it.

Scratch one more business opportunity.

SLAG.

Maybe Bligh made the crew eat breadfruit? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Normally I avoid debates. I usually sit on the sidelines and observe other people's posts

But this thread is unfairly, propagating popular mistruths and myths about Captain Bligh.

He was not more cruel than the average British sea captain of those days.

The real villain was Captain Edwards who caught many of the mutineers and subjected them to drastic mistreatment on the return voyage to England.

Wiki states,

" Popular fiction often confuses Bligh with Edward Edwards of HMS Pandora, who was sent on the Royal Navy's expedition to the South Pacific to find the mutineers and bring them to trial. Edwards is often made out to be the cruel man that Hollywood has portrayed Bligh as being. The 14 men from Bounty who were captured by Edwards' men were confined in a cramped 18′ × 11′ × 5′8″ wooden cell on Pandora's quarterdeck. Yet, when Pandora ran aground ".

Many of the prisoners were still chained. Some of them drowned.

A seaman unlocked the prisoner's cage before jumping ship. He saved many.

Let wiki relate a little of the incident,

" Yet, when Pandora ran aground on the Great Barrier Reef, three prisoners were immediately let out of the prison cell to help at the pumps. And finally Captain Edwards did also give orders to release the other 11 prisoners, to which end Joseph Hodges the armorer's mate went into the cell to knock off the prisoners' irons. But before he could finish the job, the ship sank very quickly. Eventually four of the prisoners and 31 of the crew died during the wrecking. More prisoners would likely have perished, had not William Moulter, a bosun's mate, unlocked their cage before jumping off the sinking vessel " 

Captain Bligh exonerated many of the mutineers that were caught and tried in Britain.

Again I will quote Wiki, in order to set the record straight,

On October 1790, Bligh was honorably acquitted at the court-martial inquiring into the loss of Bounty. Shortly thereafter, he published A Narrative of the Mutiny on board His Majesty's Ship "Bounty"; And the Subsequent Voyage of Part of the Crew, In the Ship's Boat, from Tofoa, one of the Friendly Islands, to Timor, a Dutch Settlement in the East Indies. Of the 10 surviving prisoners eventually brought home in spite of Pandora's loss, four were acquitted, owing to Bligh's testimony that they were non-mutineers that Bligh was obliged to leave on Bounty because of lack of space in the launch. Two others were convicted because, while not participating in the mutiny, they were passive and did not resist. They subsequently received royal pardons. One was convicted but excused on a technicality. The remaining three were convicted and hanged".

It should be remembered that Captain Bligh sailed with 18 seamen in an open boat with no navigational instruments. They traveled 4164 miles to the closest European settlement.

Do not get me wrong Captain Bligh was a thin skinned obnoxious individual who often insulted others and held himself way above other people.

BUT.  I am sick and tired of Hollywood and many other writers who propagate their own brand of fictitious history. (often for profit).

Mr. Marinakis: please accept my apology for side-tracking your thread. But I could not stand by and have this old libel further propagated as fact.

Hopefully you will understand.

Regards to all.

SLAG.

Wikipedia does a thorough write-up of the whole saga and it's an enjoyable reading.

Try,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Bligh