I Forge Iron

Mounting a bottle opener on a Jeep

JHCC

Jeep guys, I need some help. My accountant wants me to make a bottle opener to mount on the outside of his 2016 Wrangler (Willys Edition), like this:

B8A7A70B-19F3-428E-848D-D8FC1F764319.jpeg

Here’s the spot where he wants to mount it on his own vehicle:

4EAB65F2-3086-4604-83EF-FA9AC930301A.jpeg

He says the holes are spaced 2-3/8” from center to center, and the screw head is about 5/8” in diameter. 

If anyone here has (or has access to) one of these, could you give me an idea of the diameter of the screws themselves and how much extra length they have (in other words, how thick my mounting tabs can be)? Also, it would be great to know whether or not the heads are in one plane, and if not, by how many degrees they’re off?

He’s given me total artistic freedom on this, and I’ve got a few ideas floating around in my head. He likes to take it to the beach, so I will probably go with 316L marine grade stainless.

Any information, advice, and suggestions are welcome. 

Well, since I just so happen to be in my shop with mine......

The bolts are 8-1.25 tpi. You could probably get away with about a 1/4" thickness but a little less would be advised. Or you could use counter sunk bolts. The factory bolts are 1 1/8" long but the threads start after 1/8". On these a "little" longer is fine with inside clearance. 

And for the juice. Pay attention to side clearance. The door at that area opens back and out with the angle there vs. the vertical of the door edge. Hopefully the pictures will help you see this. 

If you need any other measurements or info let me know. 

Wanna know how to mount a winch in the front while still using the factory bumper? Lol. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm thinking that the opener will have two little mounting tabs that the bolts can pass through, taking the place of the two little washers under the bolt heads. Rubber washers between the tabs and the body will take care of any abrasion issues from vibration, as well as allowing for any slight inexactitude in the fit.

Really? I mean I could. Lol. What do you want it cast in.

Honestly the plastic washers get distorted from the torque. Those bolts just hold the corners of the windshield in place. They don't really need high torque since the can come off " If " you wanted to put the windshield down ( which is a bit of a pain on these" and there are enough of them in there. 

Don't know why that is so tough - the Coke opener on my kitchen counter has the same bolt hole dimensions, just make one that fits the bolt holes he has.

Rubber or plastic washers will take up any slight curve that the panel has for mounting - easy peasy.

Although this could have been an engineered "In" dimension so openers could be mounted easily - designers throw in some weird quirks sometimes for good reasons.

If you want to really trick it out, make it so the opener part folds flat against the mounting part.  That way you have clearance for the door and an extra bit of "bling" for the thing.  Extra points if you can work up a spring and detent system so it locks in the open and closed positions! :D