I Forge Iron

Apprenticeman?

Geesh, if that's so, I can't imagine what the guy could have done to get the boot. His posts are always so much in the spirit of the forum: to share and learn. In my book you couldn't ask for a much more earnest participant. If he can "screw up," as forthright as he is, than I better keep my head down for sure.

What was the offense?
I'd hate to say the wrong thing and be banned as well.
If it was deserved....well, as a community we need to be reminded that upholding a clean forum is also important. The subject is metalworking and metalworkers....and those subjects are 'dirty' enough.

Censorship?.....being banned?.....

Let's all keep in mind we are merely guests in another man's house. We are here because Glenn has welcomed us to be here. Iforgeiron has a code of ethics to be followed by everyone. It is posted, and should be followed.

"The Blacksmith Forum is a family site. The standards are set high. You are expected to conduct yourselves as gentlemen and ladies. Your posts are to be civil, polite, and respectful of others and their opinions. There are to be no "bad words", no personal attacks, and it should be able to be read from the front of the church on Sunday with no one being embarrassed.

The site is a way to exchange information. You may question or comment as you wish within these guide lines. Additional guide lines may be added as needed, and additions made to the rules of registration, and any disclaimers as needed.

I charge each of you with assisting me in keeping the site a family site, a clean site, and operating within the guidelines set forth. I do not expect any problems, but if they were to occur, please contact me directly with your concerns.

If you were invited into someone's home, or someone's business, would you be expected to conduct yourselves as gentlemen and ladies, to be civil, polite, and respectful of others and their opinions, and to not attack anyone personally?

This is YOUR home, and YOUR place for learning. If you answered yes to the question above, then it is how you expect others to conduct themselves already. It is only a rule if the expectations must be addressed and or enforced."

Everyone is invited to join us. Please make suggestions as how we can improved the site and make it better. Participate and make it YOUR home, YOUR place for learning.

This talk and hint of censorship has been around here before when all we need to remember is what guidelines Glenn and the IFI crew has laid out for us here on the forum. If you don't like it don't post...we all make choices and by posting we all choose to live by the standards in place. Censorship only comes when those try to quiet you without you knowing the rules first...

It is not our place to question why someone has been banned. It is our place to hold ourselves and those around us to higher standard to keep others from the same fate.

So get over it...move on...get back to why we come to this site! BLACKSMITHING!

Thanks for the forum Glenn.
Thanks for the high standards of conduct.
And Thanks for sticking to it!
It makes this site better for all!
Keep up the good work!!!!!!

Just my $.02
Peyton

Well stated Peyton. Straightforward and to the point.

I myself spoke with Sam. He will be back. Just a case of bad judgement on his part is what got him suspended from the site. Sam assured me that he holds no bad feelings towards anyone here at IFI, and he would be returning to contribute as soon as possible.

I have been using this site for some time now. I consider myself a regular. I have seen people come and stay, people come and go, and people (very few) get banned altogether. But there was always just cause for their removal from the membership. I would wholeheartedly stand behind any of the site admins decisions made in the past in regard to those removals.

Let's all not forget why we use and contribute to this site: blacksmithing and the growth and future of the craft. If you view rules and regulations implemented by the admin as censorship, maybe you would be better off not frequenting this site.

My .02 worth

-aaron c.

Hello Friends,

This is a fantastic site! It's monitored with a dedication and commitment that is without equal. I completely support its rules, needs and expectations. It's just I'm not sure I'm always aware of all of them. I do not, in any way, question the site's guidelines. I just question whether I can live up to them when a fellow member I respect immensely had a lapse in being able to. I'm glad to hear he's coming back and that he understands the situation (even if I don't completely). I do completely support, admire and appreciate Glen and his unwavering commitment to making this world-class site available for, well, the world!

Mahalo nui loa (thank you very much), Phil

Before this thread goes any further please read the following Site Guide Lines. They are posted to stay on top of the first section of the site Forum > Keeping you informed.

IForgeIron has set it's standards high. The site guile lines were established to keep IForgeIron focused on metalworking, to keep the site a family forum where everyone is welcome, and to keep it a comfortable place to visit and to learn. When someone chooses to disregard the site guide lines, most times the site self moderates by someone reminding the individual that it if a family forum. If they continue to disregard the site guide lines, an administrator becomes involved.

If he can "screw up," as forthright as he is, than I better keep my head down for sure.

I will not discuss the specifics of Sam's ban other than to say he did not follow the site guidelines. The ban will expire and he will be welcome to use the site again, if he follows the site guidelines. Let me assure you, and everyone else, that if the site guide lines are followed, you should have nothing to worry about.

mmn smells like censorship to me.. big brother is watching you!

IForgeIron goes out of it's way NOT to censure posts or opinions. The infraction to the site guide lines WAS NOT REMOVED. There was NO censorship. The poster of the material WAS removed (banned) for not following the site guide lines. There is no smell of censorship involved, it is all on the top of the table, face up, with nothing hidden.

As to big brother watching, the IForgeIron members, moderators, and administrators all keep a watchful eye on the site to insure that it remains a family forum, and a comfortable place to visit. Currently that is over 3,600 (members) all ask to watch and monitor the site, and inform the admins of any problems.

IForgeIron is blacksmithing and metalworking resource for the entire world to enjoy. We translate the site into many languages other than English so folks can use the information on IForgeIron even if they do not speak English. The standards for the site are set high, so anyone, anywhere in the world, can feel they are welcome to visit the site. The site guide lines simply keep the site open to all that wish to join us in a family forum, and learn about metal working.

but i'm still curios to what he did :-D

mmmmn.. hypthaticly speaking.. if I was to blacksmidt a sclupture of a naked human figure , showing its intimate parts.. and post that picture.. whould that be a voialation? or wouldn't it??? i'm just wondering... because it would be an art object, and it would be blacksmited... a thin line to walk upon...
:-) lol

I will not discuss the specifics of Sam's ban other than to say he did not follow the site guidelines.
To discuss the specifics would not be fair to Sam as it is a personal matter between Sam and IForgeIron.

As to your hypothetical situation, I will not be baited into a discussion. If there is "gray area" question, it would be prudent for you to contact the site administrator directly, whether it be IForgeIron or any other web site on the internet.

If you think it might be questionable, it probably is....

If its not something you would show your grandmother, don't show it....

If its something that you would not discuss in "polite" company, don't dicuss it...

Rules I've had beaten into my head for years....

Am glad though that there is a penalty box.... not permanent (though some may warrant that.... depends on the situation!)....
Good site, good rules, good topics, good ideas.....

hey guys see the "lol at the end of my last post..?
lighten up :-) I'm just kidding around :P
seriously, Glenn is a blessing for us all! and the site is greath!! and believe me when i think some picture wouldn't be suitable for this forum, I wouldn't post it, allot of youngsters around here, and its all aboud blacksmiting and metal working ...
I have made some nude sculptures in the past, in wood, and I plan an making some in the near futere out of metal, but there semi abstracted art, probably not something annybody would take offence in, at least not around here in europe.. in the us.. well.; if heard' story's of us city's whou band clasical and renesance art exebitions because there was "nudity" in there (something like saying michelangelo's david is offencive or something.. :-s) so maybe I'm not alway's on that wavelength.. but i gues you guys around here all are intelligent enough to know the difirence between art and plain out nudity, i have faith in that :-) if seen some wonderfull works of art around here so there is a good feeling toward the escence of it.
and that my dear lady's and gentlemen is my 2 cents :-) (i actually learnd that expression here :-) )

I myself spoke with Sam. He will be back. Just a case of bad judgement on his part is what got him suspended from the site. Sam assured me that he holds no bad feelings towards anyone here at IFI, and he would be returning to contribute as soon as possible.

-aaron c.

*thumbs up*

Good to be back!