I Forge Iron

Another Help With Anvil Purchase

A local is asking an astronomical $800 for this anvil, I know it's not close to that, but I'd like to know what I should offer for it. Supposedly it's a  118# Peter Wright, looks to say 106 on the anvil, so I assume that's the weight.

I don't see decent anvils available in my area on a regular basis. I've been looking for a month with no luck. This anvil has been up since I started looking, figured I'd at least talk to the owner this week and see if they'll accept an offer. 

120336-1513711013-129123.jpg

120336-1513711018-536775.jpg

120336-1513711023-967029.jpg

120336-1513711028-161623.jpg

That's a decent $300 - $350 anvil at best.  Peter Wright is a great anvil maker, but there are a lot of them out there in that type of condition and in that weight.  Maybe in Utah a premium is attached because there are probably fewer anvils than say out east or in Ohio, but I think the seller is really asking too much for it.  There's nothing exceptional about the make, condition or weight that would explain the almost $8 a pound asking price.  $2 - $3 a pound isn't out of the question for a good anvil.

When I was looking for anvils, I'd often call the seller and ask him what he knows about the anvil.  9 times out of 10 it was nothing.  I'd then give him a little information about it and slip in there that anvils of his type generally go for less than the asking price.  I had one guy come down from $800 on a 235 lb English style anvil saying "All I wanted to get out of it was $500."  Bingo, he listed it for more but had an idea in mind of what he really wanted.  As long as the seller doesn't get the feeling you are trying to low-ball him, you can usually get them to budge.  I'm sure others here will chime in and some may have better advice than mine.

Actually you are probably surrounded by anvils; but you just don't see them as you are focused on the London pattern anvil as being the "only anvil" even though it's been around about 200 years of the 3000 years folks have been forging iron alloys!  Look at the "Living Treasures of Japan" sword smithing section  he's using basically a solid hunk of steel as an anvil and doing world class work.  Why do you have to have a London pattern?

Look at the improvised anvil thread and get to hammering!

If you are set on a London pattern anvil look here for some options anvilbrand.com I have a 125# JHM and it is a nice anvil. 

801 Utah, so Salt Lake area? Look for a scrap yard, heavy equipment repair or rental yard, tractor repair, etc and look for old forklift forks, large bucket pins, hydraulic breaker points, large forgings, steel castings, etc.. I am in Southern NV, and was werkin in LaVerkin for a bit. With all of the mining, and other industry in these parts you should be able to come up with a suitable anvil, and yes, it is an anvil, just not a London patterned one. 

7 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

If you are set on a London pattern anvil look here for some options anvilbrand.com I have a 125# JHM and it is a nice anvil. 

801 Utah, so Salt Lake area? Look for a scrap yard, heavy equipment repair or rental yard, tractor repair, etc and look for old forklift forks, large bucket pins, hydraulic breaker points, large forgings, steel castings, etc.. I am in Southern NV, and was werkin in LaVerkin for a bit. With all of the mining, and other industry in these parts you should be able to come up with a suitable anvil, and yes, it is an anvil, just not a London patterned one. 

I have considered getting forklift tines and making an anvil out of that. I heard they ring quite a bit though. Need to research into that.

Worst case scenario, I'll get by with an improvised anvil until I find a keeper. 

Always seem to be someone trolling for the clueless.   Local CL had someone selling 2 ingots of babbitt---for more than twice the going price over at rotometals.  I expect they hope it's collectible as the makers mark on it dates to a refinery once near here, now a superfund site...but I doubt there is much of a collector's market in Babbitt...

On 21/12/2017 at 4:50 AM, MC Hammer said:

That's a decent $300 - $350 anvil at best.  Peter Wright is a great anvil maker, but there are a lot of them out there in that type of condition and in that weight.  Maybe in Utah a premium is attached because there are probably fewer anvils than say out east or in Ohio, but I think the seller is really asking too much for it.  There's nothing exceptional about the make, condition or weight that would explain the almost $8 a pound asking price.  $2 - $3 a pound isn't out of the question for a good anvil.

When I was looking for anvils, I'd often call the seller and ask him what he knows about the anvil.  9 times out of 10 it was nothing.  I'd then give him a little information about it and slip in there that anvils of his type generally go for less than the asking price.  I had one guy come down from $800 on a 235 lb English style anvil saying "All I wanted to get out of it was $500."  Bingo, he listed it for more but had an idea in mind of what he really wanted.  As long as the seller doesn't get the feeling you are trying to low-ball him, you can usually get them to budge.  I'm sure others here will chime in and some may have better advice than mine.

Sure thing. I answered a post on Gumtree for an ad that was interstate, posted in Victoria and I am in NSW. Peter Wright anvil almost 500 lb, wanting $2500.

Call the guy and asked for more pictures. Lots of chisel marks on the cutting table and the horn. Normal edge wear, decent flat face. 

Called back and gave him the speech of what this retails for in that condition and he said he wanted $1000. Offered $900 and got it. Paid $200 for interstate shipping. It is a real good price fo Australia where some anvil collectors are selling old beaten up anvils for $10 a pound.

The internet is full of real ugly anvils for a king's ransom. They add to the folklore I suppose. There was an ad selling anvil and stump. The anvil sold and the stump was still there for sale with a $150 tag ... just an ordinary slice of log. :)