I Forge Iron

Where to get square/round stock

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, JHCC said:

Older paint can contain lead, and burning any paint releases nasties into the air. Unless you’re positive that it contains nothing toxic, consider chemical stripping (with proper PPE). 

I never gave that much thought but I guess I really should, especially when my grandson is around

11 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I've never heard that one, I have used lye based strippers in the past, NaOH,  chemically nasty, proper PPE of course.

It works well. Better than i expected, to be honest. I was searching for a way to get away from grinding the paint off (smells terrible, cant imagine its good for health) so i tried the HCl, and was satisfied with the results. 

Never used sodium hydroxide, ill have to try that sometime, ive got some in the shop. Perks of being a backwoods chemist :D.

2 hours ago, bigb said:

I never gave that much thought but I guess I really should, especially when my grandson is around

I really truly dont mean to sound snide and rude, but... umm, yeah!

Alro has wearhouses in your area and sells usable drops or full lengths if you contact sales definatly ask if they have drops in tge size you need 

if you want steel less than a full length in smaller sizes and the price seemes high ask if they are grosing you for the whole 20' bar if they say yes you might as well just buy the whole 20' as you will pay the same price 

cutting fees are cheap 4$ per cut 

If we ever open a outlet store in your area you will have fun shopping as it is kinda like a scrap yard without the rust and alloys will all be labled 

enjoy

7 hours ago, DuEulear said:

Alro has wearhouses in your area and sells usable drops or full lengths if you contact sales definatly ask if they have drops in tge size you need

I just looked it up, it's up by Pittsburgh, probably about an hour and twenty minute drive from me. Not too bad, I'll have to make a trip up and see what I can snag.

7 minutes ago, Pr3ssure said:

I just looked it up, it's up by Pittsburgh, probably about an hour and twenty minute drive from me. Not too bad, I'll have to make a trip up and see what I can snag.

Check in with @Daswulf on the way -- he's in Charleroi, about an hour from you.

1 minute ago, JHCC said:

Check in with @Daswulf on the way -- he's in Charleroi, about an hour from you.

Word, that's not too far from me. I went almost that far to pick up my anvil. I wonder if he knows the guy I got it from.

Just now, Daswulf said:

I'm up for a steel run. :) I'll even bring my cordless angle grinder and sawsall to save the $4. A cut. 

Sounds good. I'll be sure to let you know when I decide to go.

Yeah, I want to go back and try and get either a whole coal forge setup or just get a hand crank blower. Although I'd like to upgrade from my 22gallon drum forge I made. It works but it needs some tweaking to get the blower pipe in the right spot because I just have it setup as a side blast. I want to get it to a bottom blast, jut gotta figure out how I'm going to do it.

I haven't tried using one on wood since I was younger and didn't know what I was doing. The Rpms are fast and will tend to want to burn the wood in my experience. And much depends on what wheels you use.  Those jobs are left to my angle grinder and other hand or air tools. Others opinions probably vary wildly on that. 

An angle grinder using sandpaper disks should work fine---like a rasp but faster. You will want to start with a fairly coarse sandpaper disk if you want to remove a lot of wood and then progress to finer disks as you get close to what you want. REMEBER TO WEAR PPE using it!  (Dust, sound and impact danger!)

Once you get close to the shape size you want on the handles, you could hand sand them then go through finer grits that way. A piece of cardboard or harder foam can be used as a sandpaper backing pad when hand sanding. 

On dressing the hammer faces remember to keep them cool, and not overheat them. If it's getting hot to the touch cool it off in some water. Then you can continue. It helps to not " lay into it" as in go easy and take it slow. 

There are many types of discs for an angle grinder. It's like a Swiss Army knife. :) just respect the tool. It has many ways to hurt you if not using it in a safe manner. Like Thomas said, wear PPE using it. 

Yeah, I have been reading and watching videos about dressing hammers not a whole lot of mention about not getting the hammer too hot but I figured it wouldn't be a good idea anyway. I'm just gonna be sure to keep it nice and slow since I've never done it before. And I'm glad to finally be getting an angle grinder, they're so useful.