I Forge Iron

Stupid mistake coverup

Pancho07

I’m building a set of spurs for a local guy and made a stupid mistake on one of the shanks. Wen I was cutting the towel slots I tried to speed tings up by drilling out as much as I could and got one of the holes way out of line( the rest were cut with a hacksaw). This may be a moot point if he wants them left silver but if he wants them blued I’m wondering how much that spot will show up if I fill the divot in with the tig or mig welder and grind it back smooth. It’s not huge but if I leave it it will be noticeable. I’m not averse to making a new shank but would rather not if I can avoid it

So, if I understand you correctly, the inside of one slot has a divot from a misaligned hole? Why not grind both slots larger, mig or tig the inside of both, and regrind the slots? It will cost you a bit in time and material, but that way both slots will be identical.

I spose that’s one way of looking at it haha. My biggest worry is I’m already losing money time wise. I just had an idea though, fill the divot and wrap the shanks in copper with some decorative ingraving on it. Then the fill won’t show up at all.

Before anything else, I'd get in touch with the customer and ask if he wants them blued. If no, you're fine. If yes, do a test on a piece of scrap and a spot weld to see how well it looks. If it's okay, it's okay. If it's not, consider the copper wrap.

You need a bit of slop. Spurs should spin with out binding. Your honestly not seposed to jab the horse with them. Yes opening up the side tord the notch should work well. 

Take a page from TP and make your own saw blades from bandsaw blades. 18TPI blades suck for thick stock. 8TPI would cut much faster. 

As a horseman I prefer the larger rawls and would there for suggest cutting the slots dealer on all sources to accomidate them. Bidder rawls are less severe. You can always go smaller with out modifications, but to go larger.