I Forge Iron

Crazy "Sculpture" idea?

Ever since I've gotten into blacksmithing and began hitting stuff on an anvil, I've had an idea for a sculpture type thing. We always talk about rebound when talking about anvils, and  we've said that you can use sledgehammer heads as anvils, so they've got to have decent rebound too. I know I've almost hit myself in the nose when I missed the piece swinging from the rebound of hitting the anvil. So... can you make a large model of a newtons cradle using hammers as the balls? I think you would be able to, but I know I'm not super knowledgeable on the subject so I'm looking for your opinions. Thanks in advance.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 4:53 PM, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

The real challenge would be to forge four small hammer heads (same weight & faces). I can almost hear them now...clack,clack,clack.:)

Like the one Jeremy K made?

gallery_280_4_87494.jpg

I had a physics class in college where the professor had a super-sized Newton's cradle with bowling balls.  It worked a treat. I would suggest caution with hard faces striking one another.    If you had one chip on you, it could be dangerous.  If they were tempered softer, they'd probably still bounce just fine without the risk of shrapnel.

You could hinge the handles to keep them in the same plane.  

5 minutes ago, Dylan Sawicki said:
7 hours ago, Frosty said:

Did anyone see the Mythbuster episode where they made a Newton's cradle with wrecking balls?

Yes a long time ago lol.

If memory serves, they tried to fill hollow steel spheres with concrete, but found that they absorbed too much energy without transferring it to their neighbors.

Possible lesson for those considering concrete anvil stands....

18 hours ago, Elemental Metal Creations said:

It would have to be a block anvil the same weight as the hammers.

If there were only the three "pendulums" would the anvil in the middle have to be the same weight to transfer the energy through? As long as there was solid contact between the resting hammer and the anvil, I'd think the energy from the striking hammer would transfer through and move the resting hammer. But then I'm not a physicist.