I Forge Iron

Trivets Historical sources and Modern Examples

ThomasPowers

Antique Iron, Survey of American and English forms 15th -19th centuries Herbert, Peter and Nancy Schiffer. About 16 pressing iron trivets and another 16 pot trivets.

Iron and Brass Implements of the English House, J. Seymour Lindsay,  Check the index as Trivets has 8 sub entries each one including several pages...

Irons in the Fire, Rachael Feild, page 72 has 3 examples including the one I've made a dozen or 2 of... Note she calls them Brandreths "to hold pots, baking irons, frying pans and griddle pans just off the direct heat of the fire"  Entries for trivets in the index

Early American Wrought Iron , Albert H. Sonn plates 302, 304, 308, 309 In the Kitchen section  include some trivets.

Decorative Antique Ironwork, Henry Rene D'Allemagne, excessively excessive excess! plate 338 with some crossover with grills and toasters. Some examples of forge welding that will make your jaw drop; but mainly "display" items.

Gotta check my work email for issues on second shift; I hope to add a few more sometime...

I don't have anything to add reference material wise, but here are a few I have made in the past few months.. 

And here are 2 no weld examples.. The Round one will be a "How to" video once it's done being edited.. It was made and filmed today..  It's a no weld forged ring.. 

Nestled double heart,  Fire/camp trivet,  simple hear trivet, and then a food warmer.. Not really a trivet other than the 3 legs.. 

20171102_152935.jpg

20171102_152942.jpg

10242014 (20) (2).jpg

10242014 (38) (2).jpg

20171027_173639.jpg

20171027_173642.jpg

20171028_152209.jpg

20171028_152237.jpg

20171102_201254.jpg

20171102_201445.jpg

20171102_201455.jpg

20171102_201503.jpg

20171102_201546.jpg

7 hours ago, arkie said:

That's a nice looking bunch of trivets!  The double "heart-in-heart" is really unique and attractive.  I might try a few of those sometime, thanks for posting the photos.

Thanks, In the next few months I will be filming and producing  several more video's on trivet making..   One of the "How to" videos will be a heart trivet.. 

Me being someone who does open fire cast iron cooking, I really liked that folding trivet, I haven't seen one like that. would be nice to make one, a dutch oven is already bad enough to carry around in the woods!

Littleblacksmith 

• 5 years later...

I found an old thread about trivets that lead me to some beautiful photos and I was hoping you stilled made these trivets I am looking at the heart one with the candle holder and the three piece bar fire pit trivet Do you sell them and can you tell me the cost. Thank you for your time 

Kathy G

Kathy: Mark checks in occasionally but but I'm sure he'll be happy to talk about what you'd like him to  make, he's a professional blacksmith. Try sending him a PM. click on his avatar and select "Message" he'll see that much sooner than a post on the forum. The thread you're replying to hasn't seen activity in 5 years, I strongly doubt he's following it or has notices set for it.

Make sense? Shoot him a PM.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

If you put your location in your profile we may be able to put you in touch with someone close to you who may be able to make something similar for you.

Jennifer, who posted the pictures on this old thread is in Rutland, MA.  You may want to send her a private message through the forum and see if the two of you can come to a deal.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Howdy from eastern Oklahoma and welcome to the forum!

Like George said, Jennifer is still an active member here so you’re in luck just shoot her a PM! 

it might take a day or two but she will get back with you!

On the other hand……. You might wanna buzz around the forum a check out all the how toos!!

never know you might wanna try firing up a forge yourself and making a few trivets too! 

disclaimer: once you get started forging you may not be able to stop!!!! Lol