I Forge Iron

Took my first class..Heres the results Don't go too hard on me!

The class was great. I learned a lot.. I made a few mistakes, like the curl on the other end.. That was the 2nd one, which was harder because I was using tongs. I will be going back to take the actual course.. I could do a 2nd one right now and I know it would be twice as good.  Its not the most symmetrical, but my next one will be.

The instructor was great... It was the most fun I have had in a long time. For some people sitting by a poolside is fun.... For me, working is fun.

IMG_1171.jpg

Why on earth would we go hard on you? Congratulations on getting into it and welcome to the madness :)

Looks like you'll be getting serious about it now lol. Please share some pictures of your progress and we wont be hard on you. Promise? :D

Oh, by the way, pay attention to your steel in the fire. While I was replying I burned off an hours work lol. Some silly lessons we are doomed to repeat if we don't think about it. Ugh. My bad. 

image.jpg

Welcome to the forum & hammering on red hot metal. Your first item looks very good to me, especially since some of mine look like yours and I've been at it for decades.

If you will go to your profile and edit it to include your location, you may be surprised how many of the gang are close to you and some answers are location dependent.

One thing I really liked about the instructor is that he said stuff in ways that stuck in my mind.. Like, "if your talking with someone while your steel is in the fire, the second you realize you are talking to someone with your steel in the fire, pull it out to check it"..

Why does it have to be symmetrical?  Making the ends symmetrical is for machines!  I often make the hooks different for their intended use: large arc to fit over a pipe, deep narrow arc to hold a bail for example---of the 30 cubical hooks at work right now. One end fits tightly over the cubicle wall, the other  is shaped to hang your coat and or your laptop carrier. (First 25 or so were made from old rusty 1' long landscape timber nails as I had found 25 of them at the scrap yard... My personal one is made from 1/2" sq stock with a dragon head on one end to keep an eye on my co worker in the next cube over...)

10 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Why does it have to be symmetrical?  Making the ends symmetrical is for machines!  I often make the hooks different for their intended use: large arc to fit over a pipe, deep narrow arc to hold a bail for example---of the 30 cubical hooks at work right now. One end fits tightly over the cubicle wall, the other  is shaped to hang your coat and or your laptop carrier. (First 25 or so were made from old rusty 1' long landscape timber nails as I had found 25 of them at the scrap yard... My personal one is made from 1/2" sq stock with a dragon head on one end to keep an eye on my co worker in the next cube over...)

It doesn't have to be. The instructor also said, if you mess up its ok, just make it look like the mistake wasn't a mistake. I'm happy with mine.

Welcome aboard JW513!  Mind putting a general location in your profile when you have time?  A wise man once told me the difference between an apprentice  carpenter and a master carpenter is the master knows how to fix all of his mistakes and the apprentice has yet to learn that lesson.  Besides machines can produce perfection time after time but it takes human hands to produce a piece that is unique and special enough to talk about time after time.  And that is not at all half bad to look at, I like the slow fast slow twist.

2 hours ago, Desmond Redmon said:

the master knows how to fix all of his mistakes and the apprentice has yet to learn that lesson.

I've heard that as "The master knows how to fix all of his mistakes, and the apprentice is still learning how to make them."

23 hours ago, Desmond Redmon said:

Welcome aboard JW513!  Mind putting a general location in your profile when you have time?  A wise man once told me the difference between an apprentice  carpenter and a master carpenter is the master knows how to fix all of his mistakes and the apprentice has yet to learn that lesson.  Besides machines can produce perfection time after time but it takes human hands to produce a piece that is unique and special enough to talk about time after time.  And that is not at all half bad to look at, I like the slow fast slow twist.

Whats funny, is other people loved my twist in the class. I thought everyone elses looked better. But the more I look at mine, the more I like it and the more proud I am. 

Did you take a class at Prospect Hill?

I took their Bottle opener and knife classes earlier in the year, and now I have a forge, anvil, and tools at home (It's outside though until I can convince SWMBO that I need another shed for it - first step will be to forge her something pretty like a horse head something (she's a horse girl) - THEN she will see the NEED for another out-building). 

2 hours ago, Cavpilot2k said:

Did you take a class at Prospect Hill?

I took their Bottle opener and knife classes earlier in the year, and now I have a forge, anvil, and tools at home (It's outside though until I can convince SWMBO that I need another shed for it - first step will be to forge her something pretty like a horse head something (she's a horse girl) - THEN she will see the NEED for another out-building). 

Yes I did, How is the bottle opener class? I'm sure its similar.