I Forge Iron

beef56

Good Morning, I don't think I even deserve the rookie designation. I know nothing! I have some experience with metal work, stick welding, acetylene, etc. I need another hobby as I near retirement. I bought a HB 124 lb anvil yesterday. It is in very useable condition and included 3 Hardie tools, a huge tree stump stand, and a cute little brass jewelers anvil. Living in SD where I do there aren't many anvils for sale so I jumped on this one, paying $375. I am curious when it was made. I thought I should introduce myself before I ask any favors.

Thanks, looking forward to learning!

She's a beauty. Clean her up with a wire wheel on an angle grinder remembering to wear proper safety equipment. Those things are Dangerous!  I coat my stuff with Fluid Film from Lowes. Works good and smells good.  And it came with a hot cut hardy. Very usefull tool. Enjoy and welcome to the addiction

Hi Beef56, and welcome to the addiction.  We won't remember that you live in SD ten minutes from now, however if you edit your profile to show your location it will be there with every post and you may be surprised how many of the gang are near you.

You have scored a beautiful looking HB anvil and it should serve you well along with future generations. Have you done a ball bearing rebound & ring test yet?

I haven't done the ball bearing test yet, haven't had time to find a bearing. It does rebound nicely and has good high pitched tone and  using the hammer test. I had no idea there was so much to learn about anvils. I just got lucky with this one, I had no idea the HB was a good anvil. A guy showed up , wanted to sell it and I thought the price as right.

Anvils in America (AIA) places the manufacture date at 1906 for a serial number of 122,088. A serial number of 22,088 would be a manufacture date of 1895. So either way it’s got quite a few stores to tell!

I have included a picture of the base earlier in this post. I can provide other photos if needed. It looks quite robust to me. I will clean it up and maybe it will be clearer if the number does start with a "1". I didn't know anvils could be so much fun. I thought they were just for hammering metal on! We had one at home growing up and of course every ranch I worked on had one but they were just an anvil !!

• 4 months later...

Should I consider trying to dress those edges that are chipped off this anvil or leave them alone? There are some good edges to work with on this anvil. I worked for a man that said you would go to hell for bending steel cold. I think whoever beat this anvil, chipping it, may have had the same destination. lol