I Forge Iron

Creosote as fuel?

So I have been trying to research this for about a week now and I only find stuff about cleaning and removal of creosote from wood forges. I was wondering if anyone ever tried to use the creosote as a fuel source for their forge and if so what the result was. I also read that certain creosote are very carcinogenic but I'm talking about specifically wood creosote. I know it burns really hot and for a long time I just haven't seen anyone discuss using it as a fuel source thanks in advance for any information you can give.

NO! Fuel oil burns hot too but takes a special way of atomizing it to use it in a forge burner.  Creosote is not a good producer of a clean heat to be used in contact with the workpiece. It is in fact a lot of the stuff you are driving off when you make charcoal to use in a forge.

NO! It only burns hot in your wood stove in a run away situation as stack fire warping the stove pipe and lighting your house on fire. Its the WRONG kind of hot and it's toxic. The only productive system I've seen burning creosote are wood gas furnaces and they are designed to pyrolize wood in a controlled manner to generate steam or hot water for heating systems or to make charcoal in the "Indirect" method.

It's not forge fuel any more than automotive grease and motor oil are. It might be possible but the burner would be very specialized to be safe.

Frosty The Lucky.

Okay that answered my question I was just curious about it so I'll just stick with the plan of homemade charcoal and tree bark then I'm supposed to be getting my forge in sometime before the end of the week I had a guy build me one and I'm just waiting then all I'll be missing is my anvil which I'm working on gathering the materials for it. Somehow I knew you 2 would be the ones to answer my quandary.

I've been religiously reading threads on forges, fire control, fuels, improvised anvils, heat treating and tempering, and anything else to do with general blacksmithing I have a few apps I've found useful as well but I research the forums on my breaks at work and when I get home.

I think their goal is to comment on every thread ever posted on here

The knowledge base of IForgeIron includes many areas of information that you would have never considered, folks that have a lifetime of experience, and massive experience in their specific areas of interest.  

We are fortunate to have many experienced and knowledgeable folks posting to the site. Their goal is not a post count, their goal is to help others.