I Forge Iron

Fair points. Although I was referencing my grandfather who is in his 70s and is the one who wipes raw meat everywhere for some weird reason. Fair points indeed. Although I have eaten enough dirt you'd think I'd have had an issue by now. I know it doesn't work that way, an attempt at a joke I guess. I cant even begin to list all the cracked and scratched things I eat off of every day, so I guess i should fix that.

I already knew that the pan was basically going to be trash, and now that it is "riveted" it is confirmed. I didn't expect attempt 1 to be anything remotely usable.  I learned how not to make a pan yesterday and how not to rivet one today.

I would put up a picture, but I really don't want to display to the world how bad the rivets came out.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I've made several dishing hammers from dome headed RR bolts---so many that anytime I see them at the fleamarket or scrapyard I pick them up to have a supply to hand. By putting the hammer eye at the screw thread end you get a deep dish hammer that won't catch the edge as much---I've done several gallon+ pots with them.

I've got a couple of those knocking around; I'll give that a try.

Of course to make a skillet you don't need a dishing hammer you want a flat face and work the edge over the end of a chunk of RR rail (center of the blank over the bulk of the rail then  hammering down  on the side material as you shift the blank around---this is where a slight curve to the top of the rail comes in handy!  If you do a lot of them you may want to source a THICK disk to use instead of the rr rail. Much handier to work the wrinkles back into themselves on.)

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

I've made several dishing hammers from dome headed RR bolts---so many that anytime I see them at the fleamarket or scrapyard I pick them up to have a supply to hand. By putting the hammer eye at the screw thread end you get a deep dish hammer that won't catch the edge as much---I've done several gallon+ pots with them.

BTW why so many hammer marks on the flat of the skillet? Shouldn't they be concentrated along the edge you are trying to turn up? (and on the outside of the would be edge?)

I will have to try one of those as well.

And the short story is I messed up, badly.

I failed miserably at turning up the sides.  I made the mistake of not properly securing the pipe I was using and not having good enough score marks.  The plate kept bouncing all over the place and I rarely had the ring of the pipe lined up with where I wanted the inside ring of the pan to be.  I also made the mistake of not wearing the proper gloves so every time I would strike the hammer I singed my right hand and forearm.  My heating method was also way off, I tried to get it evenly heated but I obviously did not.  here were ripples and waves all over what was supposed to be the flat surface of the center.  While making the sides I eventually got tired of burning my arm from proximity, so I ended up clamping the pipe horizontally and folding the sides over that way, which worked surprisingly well in contrast to my Ill prepared attempt of raising the sides.  I then realized how disastrously rippled the center was and tried to fix it by planting the pipe in the ground and lightly tapping from the back side.  I hit it way to hard and convexed the thing.  When I tried to fix it I made it concave.  It was a long cycle, all the while catching the handle on the rim and denting the inside.  Then my air supply made a terrifying cough and died. So it was a learning experience I will bring to Sunday when I try this again.

58 minutes ago, GandalftheGold said:

I will have to try one of those as well.

And the short story is I messed up, badly.

I failed miserably at turning up the sides.  I made the mistake of not properly securing the pipe I was using and not having good enough score marks.  The plate kept bouncing all over the place and I rarely had the ring of the pipe lined up with where I wanted the inside ring of the pan to be.  I also made the mistake of not wearing the proper gloves so every time I would strike the hammer I singed my right hand and forearm.  My heating method was also way off, I tried to get it evenly heated but I obviously did not.  here were ripples and waves all over what was supposed to be the flat surface of the center.  While making the sides I eventually got tired of burning my arm from proximity, so I ended up clamping the pipe horizontally and folding the sides over that way, which worked surprisingly well in contrast to my Ill prepared attempt of raising the sides.  I then realized how disastrously rippled the center was and tried to fix it by planting the pipe in the ground and lightly tapping from the back side.  I hit it way to hard and convexed the thing.  When I tried to fix it I made it concave.  It was a long cycle, all the while catching the handle on the rim and denting the inside.  Then my air supply made a terrifying cough and died. So it was a learning experience I will bring to Sunday when I try this again.

Sadly, the NEB fall meet went by.. I'd been happy to given you a lesson or 2 on getting it done while at the meet..  The cost of joining NEB and then the cost of going to the meet usually makes up for the difference in cost of going to a class to take a lesson.. 

If you are using thin gauge material nearly 90% of it can be done cold..  Anything under 1/8" can be worked cold..  1/8" can be worked cold with experience with annealing in between work sessions.. 

ideally 1/8" and over will be worked hot..   Largest problem with sinking or raising is not getting a lesson or 2  but then again it's a problem with a lot of this stuff.. 

The knowledge is here and there are so many with extensive knowledge that there is no reason to reinvent the wheel..   

I have a welding video in Que right now which I am working on..  If I have a chance in the next week I'll do a Video how to on Pan making..  It really is a simple and straight forwards project.. 

Ideally a few lessons on shrinking metal would jump you light years ahead of where you are in like 15minutes.. 

If you hammer on the center of the blank you most likely will thin it and make the dish worse as the extra area created has to go somewhere.  (shrinking is a learned skilled, dishing not so much)

I would assume you would only be heating a small section of the edge at a time to work.

So I took what you said about trying cold working to get the hang of it and I got these.  The steel guys were closed but I had some old roasting pans sitting in the basement so I thought Id give it a shot.  The hammer was what I rounded off to do this, I think I should probably round it off a little more, it is a broken body hammer I think.  I still dinged it up but I think the dings are more rounded so less of a problem, I also think I did a far better job this time of keeping the dings towards the edge instead of the middle.  I still need to work on the rippling but I at least think this is a step in the right direction. 

The small one is so thin if you cough while holding it it will bend, But I think the larger one is just thick enough to hold its shape. 

Resized_20171015_145919.jpeg

Resized_20171014_115631.jpeg

Resized_20171014_115624.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Michael Cochran said:

Jlp is not a man, just in case you didn't know. ;) 

I appreciate the correction of gender,,,  But I try to follow that skill set is gender neutral..   skills are skills regardless of , race, color, gender, age.. etc, etc..  As such it's a man's world and women are in short supply in the trades so I have no issue with being called "Man"..  Or even toots or Honey if used in a friendly non derogatory manner.. :) 

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

I appreciate the correction of gender,,,  But I try to follow that skill set is gender neutral..   skills are skills regardless of , race, color, gender, age.. etc, etc..  As such it's a man's world and women are in short supply in the trades so I have no issue with being called "Man"..  Or even toots or Honey if used in a friendly non derogatory manner.. :) 

Makes sense but I'm a little old fashioned at times. I don't like using gender specific words and phrases improperly unless unavoidable. 

4 minutes ago, GandalftheGold said:

I mean I get called sweetie, cutie, hun, and mam all the time, they're just words.  I didn't think it would be an issue.  My b

I don't think it's meant as much of an issue as a clarification of what gender I or we are.

Lots of people assume I'm a dude because of the knowledge I've gained and a voice to share it.  So sometimes there is just a little clarification of terms/labels..

And besides that gentlemanly behaviour is still welcome as is good manners..

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Here at work in Mexico I get confused with Santa; which can be as lot of fun...I gave them all coal last Christmas....

Ooh, can I have some? I promise to be bad!

51 minutes ago, GandalftheGold said:

I have no idea why that posted. I went to write something, the page glitched, and I aparently posted an empty quote box that i cant delete. Oops

Apparently, I had nothing to say. 

14 hours ago, GandalftheGold said:

unintentionally yeah.  Somehow I quoted you accidentally without actually quoting you.  I blame gremlins. 

Ah come ON, Gremlins weren't so bad, blame Vegas those things sucked big time. The '70s version of the Albatross around your neck if you bought one. Couldn't fix them, couldn't sell them and in short order couldn't drive them. Gremlins were just ugly.

Frosty The Lucky.

I personally like the funky look of both the Gremlin and Vega...  I also like the pacer if that means anything.  But there again I have owned European since my first real car which was a 1970 SAAB 96 V4..  I then moved in the 99 turbo, 900 Turbo and then to the older 2Strokes with a GT850 and a Monte Carlo 850.. I love them old SAABs..