I Forge Iron

Ford anvil

So on one of the other forums I frequent a member posted up this anvil. The story is he got it from a fathers friend whose dad worked for Ford in the old days. He was told they made it after production hours. I have no idea if Ford had a foundry, but doubt it. Any ideas? This is the only pic I have seen posted.

IMG_3063.JPG

11 hours ago, Hammerfall said:

So on one of the other forums I frequent a member posted up this anvil. The story is he got it from a fathers friend whose dad worked for Ford in the old days. He was told they made it after production hours. I have no idea if Ford had a foundry, but doubt it. Any ideas? This is the only pic I have seen posted.

IMG_3063.JPG

Without photos of the anvil in the plant, or clear markings, it is all Hearsay.  I was once offered an anvil supposedly out of the Wright aircraft plant.  Show me the proof.  They only had their stories.  So who want to visit to see George Washingtons's anvil?  I will find one of my colonials and stamp GW into it!

I'm just left wondering IF this is a legitimate item that was cast in Ford's plant what type of steel would it be, what type of rebound does it have, etc. it's interesting to hear they had such a nice foundry, that's a good bit of info there. 

Reminds me of Johhny Cash's "One piece at a time" song.

When I toured the Ford Steel mill in 79 they were the third largest steel supplier. I was touring the rolling mill plant where they were rolling  ingots that were 10" thick down to .010" and these got rolled into the large rolls that you see on semi trailers. The centers were still a dull red when they were done rolling them up.