I Forge Iron

Jayco Tongs

I've been making tongs, rivets for tongs, etc.
While making these tongs, I got to thinking about what actually constitutes "tongs".

Anyway, I got the idea that if you take a piece of flat stock, put a hole about 2 or 3 inches from one end, bend the the section with the hole to 45 degrees and insert a round rod in the hole.........it sorta works like tongs.

The pics explain it better than my words.
I'm sure some ancient smith invented this a long time ago.........but what is this?.....What is it called?
James

5676.attach

5677.attach

5678.attach

5679.attach

5680.attach

Dang slick idea, easily modified, you could bend up the edges of the flat stock for box tongs, I'd call them Jayco tongs.

I've also seen tongs that were no more than two pieces of wood hinged on one end with a piece of leather. If you can imagine a spring swage, you then heat a piece of metal and burn the shape into the wood. It will make a very secure and workable pair of low cost, disposable tongs for the one off project with the odd piece.

Ya your right, they were invented many many moons ago. I used a pair just last night at dinner. They were called chop sticks. :D

I'm going to remember these. I just love the KISS (keep it super simple) principle in action. You know when KISS is at work, because beauty and function wed so awesomely that you know you're beholding an expression of perfection. Thanks!

I've given your idea considerable thought and realize there are a lot of directions one could take such a simple concept. Slot (or even keyhole) instead of a hole would allow a larger bar through... a series of slots to allow adjustments... Forked end for three point grasp

Your idea may revolutionize the smithing world the same way the spork did to the epicurean realm . :)

Looks like a great idea, and sorry to be a spoil-sport, but would the flat stock not warp/distort when hot and worked and therefore lose its gripping capabilities? Also, allowing the round rod to pivot horizontally, if you catch my drift?

Just posing the questions, eh.:)

Like most things, using them will tell... do report back!

James:

When I started reading your post I thought you were describing twist tongs, then it stopped making sense so I looked at the pics. The lightbulb went on. Ah HAH! :o

Very slick idea for field expedient, short term disposible, or boot strap tongs.

I don't know if the idea's original to you, I doubt it but have never seen it before so I don't know. Regardless if you're first or someone else has thought of it you did without help so it puts you right up with the guy/gal who did.

Well done James, well done.

This comes at a good time too. We're just getting a smithing organization going in AK and we have a large percentage of newcomers to the craft. Finding tools in AK can be really difficult and expensive. On top of that many of the guys don't yet have the skills to make things like tongs so we've been working on boot strap projects.

By boot strap project I mean projects that both produce a useful tool for the beginner and provide good practice and experience.

last meeting we showed how to make twist tongs and about a dozen pair got made, some with various jaws. Next meeting I think I'll run this gem of an idea out and see who follows.

Thanks Mucho. :D

Frosty

Thanks for all the comments, guys!

Farmer Phil, you're right, I was thinking of chop sticks, tweezers, scissors, and other pivoting/gripping tools when I came up with this idea.

What really got me thinking about tongs, was frustration with having to make new tongs to hold different shapes. I made a hammer this past week, and was dissatisfied with how nothing in tong collection actually held as I wanted them to. I have more than 30 pair!

As far as the tongs in the pics go.........I didn't actually make anything........once I got the idea, I just picked up 2 pieces of likely 'scrap'.

These could be made from heavier stock. The round rod could be heavier.....could be flattened on the end, (for flat-jawed tongs).

It also would work to use 2 pieces of flat stock.........and cut a slot in one to create the 'pivot point'.

If anyone has ideas , please share them..........That's how we all learn!

James

TZONOQUA, your point about round stock tending to roll is well taken.
It's important that whatever one uses as 'tongs' holds the work properly.

As this is a recent idea for me, I haven't done a lot of testing yet as to the gripping abilty of these tongs, but I have done some.

I have learned this much: Some of the traditional jaw shapes we're used to don't work well without a fixed(riveted) pivot.

These tongs are meant to be 'quick and easy'. If a lot of forging,bending, and twisting is required to make them grip something, then.......the purpose is defeated. I completely MANGLED a couple pieces of 3/8 in. rebar today,trying to create a jaw shape to securely hold a railroad spike.
See pic; This seems to work.

If anyone tries these tongs, BE CAREFULL! test them with a cold piece of metal first. Make sure they are holding.
James
SANY0074.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I was cleaning up a bunch of little pieces for wind chimes, using my old bench grinder to remove burrs from the edges.

The pieces were just a bit small to hold with my bare fingers( they get hot rather quickly).

Also, I hate to use my good tongs or good pliers for holding stuff to be ground. I always bump the jaws of my good tools against the abrasive wheel, removing metal from the jaws.

So, I just discovered another use for the little disposible tongs.

By the way, has anyone else had a chance to try these?
Any complaints?
Any tips for improvement?

James Flannery

5981.attach

Thanks for the safety 'heads up', Glenn.
Any kind of rotating grinder has a tendancy to throw things at you.
I've had bits of metal come flying my way more times than I care to remember.
And yes, small, sharp pieces are especially hazardous!

I was in 'git-her-done' mode when I should've been in 'safety first ' mode.
Next time I'm going to put these small, sharp pieces securely in a vise...and use the angle grinder.

Might be a little slower..........but much SAFER !

Thanks.......James

Actually the only way to stay reasonably safe using a grinder, buffer, wire brush, etc. is to stay OUT of the plane of rotation.

All the securing strategies you can think of can fail and result in flying metal so keeping out of it's path is the best bet.

Frosty