I Forge Iron

Food "Forge" Ideas

gmbobnick

As a group I suppose most who are attracted to fire as a means to create would include cooking in their list of activities.  Indeed cooking utensils (squirrel cookers, steak turners, carving knives etc.) have shown up frequently in projects that have been posted.  In the spirit of both forging and cooking, I bring a request to the membership.  Please share your ideas about desirable/unique/special or just plain cool features, that might be produced via hammer, forge and anvil for an outdoor cooking/grilling station. 

My project for next summer will be such a station.  I love to grill but I also use dutch ovens and cook the usual way but on a bed of hot coals.  Here is a sketch of what I initially had in mind to build.

Please share any related ideas you are willing to, because it may not be only about my plan but others here as well.  Thanks for your input.

drawing.png

Here is a fairly basic set i made a while back. I have a better design now, but i have not made one yet so i don't have pics and it is a bit hard to explain. One of the more basic improvements i have noodled out is to make the rotisserie of a thicker square stock and fuller a grove around it at the point where it rests on the hook closest to the point of the skewer. that way, you can lift the handle, turn your roast, and when you set it back it locks in the new position. as it is, it will roll til the heavy part is down when you let go of the handle. i hope that makes sense.:wacko:

IMG_1189.thumb.JPG.d3d657c13a7d30f5ce349ed200b92c72.JPGIMG_1193.thumb.JPG.cc1ea3be1bfeb0204815b2c4f069600e.JPG 

IMG_1190.JPG

May I commend to your attention "The Opera of Bartolomeo Scappi"  which includes an entire outdoor travelling cooking set up from the 1570's.

I also like the viking era "Lund Spit" and other viking era cooking tools.

I have a number or resources for down hearth cooking tools and have mentioned them several times on IFI over the years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is that what they mean when they talk about pulling someone's leg?

I suppose rubbing someone the wrong way is just a matter of taste.

Frosty The Lucky.

Pulled pork?  Well perhaps more like making a silk purse of a sow's ear I think.  Nice job Joel.

I cant afford the meat to fill that thing and still support my blacksmithing habit.  I would probably just have enormous blow-out parties and then suffer the financial consequences.  I am thinking of something more stationary and smaller for my purposes and to keep the peace.