I Forge Iron

Well hello

BubbaNash

I already started off by asking something in the Forges section, but this looks like an appropriate place to do this

My name is Matt, im in Long Beach, WA (next to Astoria, OR). Im currently a Building Inspector after being a custom home builder with the family business for about 15 years off and on. Im also a volunteer fire chief in my home town for the last 2 years (firefighting since 2004). Ive gone to school for diesel technology and completed about half of the AA Course. I can make jsut about anything out of wood and i deplore plumbing. 

Im not a smith, i simply am just starting to play at it and wont degrade proper smiths by claiming to be one. Hopefully one day i can. Ive gotten a lot of feed back already that is very positive and i much appreciate that. i know a little about a lot of things, and a lot about few things as most of us can claim. I love learning new things and im excited to learn how to smith, lord knows my town could use one. Im really a swell guy and i imagne you all are as well.

Well hey again Bubba! Good intro, you're one of those guys who'll never be a newbie to IFI you're so much like so many here. 

Here's one for you, the largest demographic of blacksmiths at least until the current forged in fire bladesmithing craze struck was wood workers who decided they could learn to forge out ad grind a special chisel, planer blade, etc. rather than spend the BIG  money for custom tools. That leads to hardware, parts, stands, decorations, etc. and next thing you know you're a blacksmith who dabbles in wood. Honest fine wood work is sort of a nursery for blacksmiths.

Frosty The Lucky.

i like the sound of that Frosty! 

Just started burning off some galv pipe earlier this evening and ill take a wire wheel to it this weekend. gonna plumb my fire pit in the yard for now... already lined with fire brick so why not right? got some older grade 40 half inch rebar to make my first tongs... unless i should start with something else??

I probably sould clearify. im not Bubba. im actually Nash. My real name is Matt. My buddy Ryan is Bubba and we had a long runnning joke of who Bubba Nash is... even had name plates made up and put them on an office building. Good Times.

Most grades of rebar are not an ideal choice, but as 1018 is getting hard to find and most of us are using A36, I can't say this is much of a difference. The stuff from the home improvement store tends to be high carbon, and some I have made lanscape pins from air hardens. So you get to play old timey smith and experiment to see what it is good for.  Many experiances smith like 4060 spring, as they can make lighter tongs for the same stifness. I say go with what you got. 

7 hours ago, BubbaNash said:

Just started burning off some galv pipe earlier this evening

Horrible, horrible idea. Zinc oxide fumes are highly toxic, and actually contributed to the death of a much-beloved IFI member.

If you absolutely must get rid of galvanizing, a vinegar soak is plenty effective and significantly less hazardous.

Please go read the information on this post.