I Forge Iron

Getting a Gas Forge

SandHuf

So I have been using a hand crank coal forge for some time now and have been getting tired of starting and maintaining the fire. I've been looking into buying a gas forge and have looked at Majestic Forge and Diamondback forges. After reading some threads in here I decided magestic was poorly made and couldn't weld easily. I looked at Chile ones too but that is out of my budget. I want to know if any of you have had problems with a diamondback Forge (I want the 2 burner blacksmith model). Or if you think it would be worth my time and money to just make one and buy the burners then any advice on insulation would be great. Also, I want a forge that can do some good welding. I want to try some Damascus in a few months.

i have a 2 B blacksmith and I am super happy with it. I would never get anything else having owned it. I can't speak for the forge welding capabilities, as I have never used it for that, but other members have used them for that with good success. once they get warmed up they heat steel in a jiffy and are pretty efficient. I'm not a salesmen for Dennis, i'm just a happy customer.

Tubalcain2, gives the typical answer of Diamondback forge owners.

Also, after a few years they need to be relined, as nearly all forges do; at that time, the ambitious owner can update the forge with more exotic insulation materials for very little money (see Forges 101 thread for the latest on this subject).

You can  always make better forges than you can buy, if you want to spend the research time, before starting construction; this has long been true, and is more true with every passing year. However, if your time is worth more than dishwasher wages, you want save any money; not at Diamondback prices.

8 hours ago, Mikey98118 said:

However, if your time is worth more than dishwasher wages, you want save any money; not at Diamondback prices.

Believe it or not I am actually a dishwasher haha. So money is tight, especially if I want to get a post vise and replace my cast iron anvil with a tool steel one.

On 8/12/2017 at 10:56 PM, SandHuf said:

Believe it or not I am actually a dishwasher haha. So money is tight, especially if I want to get a post vise and replace my cast iron anvil with a tool steel one.

I just ordered a Diamondback 2-burner blacksmith model over the weekend after reading lots of threads like this, and a number of reviews, and YouTube videos.  I'm really looking forward to it.

I might be able to help with the post vise and anvil...I seem to have a knack for finding them.  I'll send you a PM.