I Forge Iron

storage of drops/scraps/junk

Leeknivek

I need some ideas on storing those "someday i'll use this" pieces. You know, irregular odds and ends that don't really mesh nicely on a shelf but on occasion you'll remember you have that specific piece of material that is PERFECT for the job at hand - you spend up to an hour looking for it and decide either it's lost, already used, or it's been thrown out. 

I use, right now, a 12x36ish steel 4 shelf storage rack. Those cheap stamped steel ones. It's got four indiscriminate piles of trash heaped up onto it, stuff that I do use and have plans for, eventually, but not right now. I am moving my operation into an 8x8 shed (the fire outside, machines and benches inside) with ... limited storage space. I'm trying to get creative. 

Any pictures, ideas, suggestions? You all know as well as I how valuable these "pieces" are ........:rolleyes:

Storing small bits can get rather like storing leftovers, the further back and more covered up the get, the more likely they will not get used.  It helps to every once in awhile do a project to use up some of those bits and pieces before they get buried in the dust/scale/rust/etc.  Me I try to pawn them off on my students as I can find the stuff way faster than I can use it.

Tips:  If someone is using plastic 5 gal. paint, etc. buckets for storing small stuff, you can easily bust out the plastic bottom when dropping steel parts in it.  Cut out a piece of plywood, 1/4" to 1/2" or whatever you have, to fit the inside bottom and let that absorb the shock.  I have all my plastic storage buckets like that.  Another thing I do for the handles is to cut a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe about 3-4" long, split it lengthwise with a hacksaw, glue the halves back together with PVC cement over the cheap plastic handle.  Makes for a easy carry for a heavy bucket and long lasting handle.

The UV can act quickly, too!  We had some guys who bought some white plastic bags to store coal in 50#.  They stored them outside their shops, in the sun, and it didn't take long for the bags to split open and spill out the coal.  Had a mess to clean up.  After that, they started putting them INSIDE the shop.