I Forge Iron

Well after alot thought, scrape'n and counting pennies I finally got a Big Blu 110. I got it all set up and I tried it out this evening. It's sweet!:) It's about twice the size of the large ram on my home built hammer so maybe Ol'Red will get a break and some improvements that I've been wanting to make.
I hope to give it a good work out tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. Yeah I took a couple of pictures too!

John

5600.attach

5601.attach

NICE!!!! Congratulations!! They are well built machines, hit hard, and run like a swiss watch. The guys at Big Blu are great to deal with. I don't know what kind of forging you do, but if you didn't already get a pair, I highly recommend the crown dies. They really open new doors. With the QC system swapping dies is a snap, so no more pounding out keys for you. You made a great investment, and you have one heck of a nice shop. Best of luck to you and I'm looking forward to seeing what you kick out with your new hammer!

I love my Big Blu 110 also I've had it for almost 2 yrs now and wouldn't want to be without it. I couldn't agree more with Jose, the folks at Big Blu are great to deal with and they ship orders super fast too. Hope to see pictures of what you forge with your new hammer!!

congratulation's ;)

but errr.... what really caught my attention was the bases for your leg vise stands :P
very sparce, stylish, and a tripod. How do you like them? Would you change anything (longer legs ect) if you had it to do over?

is there a blueprint?

Ice Czar,
The 2 vise stands in the background basicly follow Mark Aspery's design in "Skills of a Blacksmith Vol 1" They are fairly portable and stable. I like them alot.I made anvil stands and gas forges that work well with the vises.

The one in the foreground is one I made 5 years ago. It is stable but to heavy to be considered portable. I will probably take the wagon vise off of it and build one of the new stands for it.

Tbarm & Jose
I found the people at Big Blu to be great. They put up with all my calls and questions and I couldn't beleive their service. I mailed the check out Monday and the hammer was bolted to the floor Thursday night. I had a couple of questions after the hammer arrived and they answered them with the same enthusiasm that they had priop to the sale.
I got a set of combo dies and a set of crown dies with the hammer. Would like to have had a set of standard dies but I pretty much spent my limit.

John

Hey John,

That's a real beaut for sure. Looks like you have quite the shop. Thanks for showing us.

Phil

(PS -- The high schoolers are starting to beat blades out of those RR spikes you sent over. I'll post pix when we make a bit more progress.)

JWBIRONWORKS,
I am totally excited for you. I can only imagine how nice it would be to have a hammer just like that. :rolleyes:
But fortunately, I get tons of satisfaction out of seeing other blacksmiths acquire tools and equipment.
Good For You!!!
Be safe!
Old Rusty Ted