I Forge Iron

how to make large coke in to small coke easily?

Jackdawg

We have a coke shortage over here at the moment, all we can get is lump stuff about 75mm in size (3 inches). We are limited to using coke as we are allowed access to a blacksmiths setup in the local historical village and we have to stay "period" in what we do. (Cant even use coal).

Is there an easy way someone knows to break this size coke down into more useable size chunks, say in the 15 to 25mm range?

Our club runs 5 forges when we get going, so it needs to be a bit quicker than getting out the 4lb hammer!

Jackdawg , I had the same problem awhile ago . I ended up standing at my flypress for 2 day's crushing 1 piece at a time to make them smaller ( not ideal but only way I could do it at the time . )

I know of 1 person who ran a bag of " cricket ball ' sized coke through a garden mulcher , coke came out the size he wanted , didn't do the  inside of mulcher or blade much good thou .

Dale Russell

Arky,

Great idea.

The tool is called a tamper. It is used to tamper down cold patch for repairing asphalt driveways and other similar uses.

They are usually over priced at hardware stores. But I noticed cheaper ones at Harbor Freight. I have not tried theirs but it is worth a go.

Or you can rent a much heavier "professional" one if you have a lot of coke/coal to crush at one time.

Regards to all the craftspeople here.

SLAG.

SLAG, my tamper is similar but much heavier than the pic of the example.  Most folks use them to firm up and level soil in foundation footers, flower beds, any other app for flattening any soft surface.  Used it up here in this rocky soil(?) a lot for foundations.  One can find them in second hand tool shops where folks have disposed of them after pounding their arms into submission!!!  They should come with handles on the sides like post pounders...now there's a pregnant idea!!!!....hmmmmmm.  

cheers fella's, lots of ideas there.

Daswulf - I think its more to do with some persons particular ideas than true historical reenactment, but we do what the overall site committee says.....

I do actually have one of those small rock crushers at work. I might try a sample through that and see how it goes, 

Otherwise a tamper, or even a walking vibrating plate will be next off the block.