I Forge Iron

Hammer is Home

The hammer is an 800 pound Williams and White self contained forging hammer, Bates design.

I finally got the hammer pulled, transported and set off at my farm. The area it was in did not have enough head room for a traditional crane so I had to use a 60 ton Rotator crane. I must say they are an impressive machine (and priced accordingly). The hammer and anvil weigh a hair over 30000 pounds combined. For reference I am 6 feet tall. If anyone is contemplating a similar move let me tell you its not for the faint of heart! That said I'm glad I did it.

IMG_3189.JPG

IMG_2426.JPG

hammer home.jpg

Greetings Marcus,

Now that's  a chunk of iron.  When the lights in Michigan dim and the lakes and streams quiver I will know  the source of the problem.  Have fun  with your new toy and stay safe. 

Forge on and make (big) beautiful things

Jim

I sure did Kevin, thanks a bunch. I was able to get in touch with Jim, he and I were both excited to know there was another machine out there. I have emailed Jack in the past when I was trying to locate information on these hammers before I discovered the manual that came with this one. I plan on reaching out to Steve, it would be nice to hear what he thinks of these hammers.