I Forge Iron

Kitsap County Washington State Refractory supplies?

I have been looking around as much as possible to find sources of ceramic wool and ITC-100. There are websites that sell these products, but I am curious if there are any supplies of it locally in Washington. It would give me something to do instead to sitting on my hands waiting for shipping. Though I suppose I do need to work on my patience. If everybody gets it online then I guess I'll just buy it that way as well. I am not sure if asking where I can get the supplies at reasonable prices is allowed, If so then I guess I'm on my own for finding that sort of information.

Thanks Ya'll,

Graham.

Seattle Pottery Supply is a short ferry ride away from Bremerton; I get all my refractory supplies there, including high alumina kiln shelf and Kaowool. Tacoma is just over the bridge in the other direction, and I would find it odd if you couldn't find a boiler supply there. Clay Art center is on the northern outskirts of Tacoma; I haven't been there for years, but they used to stock all manner of refractory products. I drive by there once a month, and they are still open for business.

Thanks! I will take a look down there. As to the ITC 100 I read someones experiment with it and plistix. He said that half the forge was coated in each and it turns out that the ITC managed to keep the temperature hotter than the plistix. I figured I would just ask the people at the pottery shop since I'm sure they have more info or experience than myself.

That was Ed Caffery on KnifeDogs.com.  I have seen no others make a similar comment.  I don't suggest mixing different products and expect to get a good comparison.  I have been using both Plistix and Metrikote for the past `10 years and have never gotten similar results to what Ed describes.  I have also used ITC-100 and though I have not tried to do side by side comparisons I find that they al give similar results.

Wayne

21 hours ago, Graham Gates(Ionic Muffin) said:

Thanks! I will take a look down there. As to the ITC 100 I read someones experiment with it and plistix. He said that half the forge was coated in each and it turns out that the ITC managed to keep the temperature hotter than the plistix. I figured I would just ask the people at the pottery shop since I'm sure they have more info or experience than myself.

that is probably correct, as far as it goes. The question is how much hotter? An observable amount, but probably not enough hotter to justify the price difference. Also, the Plistex makes a real contribution to the physical toughness of the of the ceramic blanket; enough so that, when combined with a thorough rigidizing, I would choose the combination overall,instead of a refractory hot layer in the typical tube or oval forge.

I'm kind of surprise that Wayne isn't offering fumed silica already, since it is so lite to ship, and goes so well with Plistex...

23 hours ago, WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith said:

That was Ed Caffery on KnifeDogs.com. 

Ed also believes that 1" of blanket insulates better than 2". He is a fabulous knife maker and a heck of a helpful guy, but I don't always buy his reasoning.

17 hours ago, Latticino said:

Ed also believes that 1" of blanket insulates better than 2". He is a fabulous knife maker and a heck of a helpful guy, but I don't always buy his reasoning.

And doesn't THAT fall under the, "Ask a group of blacksmiths a question" category.

Frosty The Lucky.