I Forge Iron

Stampede commission

Ethan here,

The last couple of months have kept me busy with and order a commission from the Calgary stampede.  After making my first Damascus knife back in January, my mother had posted it on Facebook, which usually I'm not happy about but I no longer think that way... But s keen eye saw that post and took it to a committee at the Calgary stampede and they liked what they saw.  Next thing you know I have a deal with them for 12, 9 inch long Damascus knives.  Specifically, they are for the brand consignment, for the world auctioneer championships. This is my first "large" commission order and I'm pleasantly surprised with the outcome. They are a very simple drop point design, but I've been carrying a smaller one I made and I love it.  I know y'all are going to be wondering what type of wood it is, and I'm sad to say I really don't know. I know that it is a very very hard "Rosewood quote that grows in Asia and I really like how it looks.  I think the name also includes all 26 letters of the alphabet but I will try and find it out anyway ;) looking forward to all of your experienced eyes to  critique it ! 

IMG_1857.JPG

IMG_1870.JPG

IMG_1872.JPG

IMG_1874.JPG

IMG_1875.JPG

IMG_1876.JPG

I also have 12 steak Turner's to go with the knives, but I am putting them in the blacksmithing section of this for him to avoid combining topics:)

Thank you guys for the kinda words as always. They are in commission as mr.powers said, but I do intend to do another run of them because they seem to be popular in the eyes of Facebookers;) it was a bit big job for the little giant to weld all those big billets of steel so I'm sitting on my hands for a bit until I get shipping Inline for the new hammer.

Was each knife one billet, or were you able to make 2 knives or more out of one billet?

Littleblacksmith

5 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

Was each knife one billet, or were you able to make 2 knives or more out of one billet?

Littleblacksmith

the billets I forged were about 2 pounds, and when I go done, I could forge 4 or 5 knives out of them, it took many heats tho.

understandable. 15N20 and 1080?

Littleblacksmith

Oh, yes, Ethan you did buy that Alldays n Onions PH, didn't you? I was very glad to hear about that. What size it was? I do remember the picture, it will very well help hammering the bigger billets ;)

Congrats on both: the cool work and the new hammer!

Bests:

Gergely

3 hours ago, Gergely said:

Oh, yes, Ethan you did buy that Alldays n Onions PH, didn't you? I was very glad to hear about that. What size it was? I do remember the picture, it will very well help hammering the bigger billets ;)

Congrats on both: the cool work and the new hammer!

Bests:

Gergely

Yes that was me! Thank you