I Forge Iron

fire pot from an old kitchen sink

Bud in PA

Hello the list i am back after some metal replacement parts in my body. I have a question, I have a brake drum forge and have been thinking of making a forge with a lager fire pot. Being on a fixed income, and cheap, I was wondering if anybody has tried to make a fire pot out of an old sink. They are cast iron and have the drain in the center of the bottom. A few whacks with a hammer should remove most of the porcelin, I don't know the effect of a coal fire on porcelin but I don't want to take any chances. I figure that I can cut the sides down if necessary with my angle grinder. Any thoughts?

Just because it has a drain in the bottom doesn't mean you have to make a bottom-blast forge. Put a 2 inch layer of dirt across the bottom (including the drain), punch or cut a hole in the side, and make a side-blast.

Don't waste money on refractory cement damp garden clay mixed with sand works better. If you shape it with fire brick sweep sand between the bricks and they'll stay put just fine. Leave the porcelain it isn't going to hurt anything and looks nice. B)

Frosty The Lucky.

Coal works just fine with a side blast forge, but with a sink you need to bring the tuyere up closer to the top, you want the center of the fire ball level with the top (it's hard to notch the sink sides) sand, clay, silt or coal ash and clinker (that's the classic) to fill in the extra space. 

A 2" pipe nipple and a 2" pipe cap with a 3/4" hole drilled in it about 4" from the top works well. This will let your work up to 1" stock easaly. If you use a pile flange, and make a "S" with 1/2 square stock you can set the top of the tuyere at about 5" and work 1-2" stock. But that style is harder to clean, with the pipe cap the slag slides down away from the hole. 

11 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

If I could sell it to the better half I would.

Somehow, my eye skipped over the "it to" in that sentence....

On 6/27/2017 at 9:28 AM, Bud in PA said:

JHCC I burn coal, not the soft stuff but Anthracite. I use a coal stove in my basement to supplement my oil heat, so i buy it by the ton.  I don't know if the side blast would work with coal.

I burn anthracite as well in a side-blast JABOD. Not sure what size coal you're burning, but the rice coal from Tractor Supply Company works well for me.

JHCC My furnace uses nut coal I think it goes for $.235 a ton. I remember some years back there used to be a size called pea coal, a bit larger then rice coal. Haven't seen it for sale in quite a few years.

Charles I can get nut coal to burn OK, although  after 30 years of burning it I  find myself still learning something new every year. That could be the result of old age, I find that if I don't write it down, I tend to forget.:wub:

• 4 weeks later...