I Forge Iron

new post vise stands

JT

Hello everyone !! I had my eye on these steel things at a small local on-line auction for the last couple weeks due to not getting listed when they were supposed to.. I thought it was a single item and thought I might be able to make it work for my 120 lb. Fisher double screw vise.. after looking at them closer it was a pair and just banded together..  better yet I thought.. now having one for another vise if they work... I ended up paying a bit more for them then I thought I was going to get them for .. and ended up paying $65.00 for them... I weighed them once I managed to get them off my truck.. 368 lbs. each !! they are 3' tall. the top plate is 12" X 12 1/4" X 1 1/4" thick the back plate is 3" tall 1 1/4" X 12 1/4"  and the bottom plate is 18" X 12 1/4" X 1 1/2" ..  I'll have to add a piece of steel to each for the post to rest on.. I think they turned out much better then I expected and seem very solid !! JT

IMG_0369.JPG

IMG_0370.JPG

IMG_0371.JPG

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0373.JPG

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

Those things are a nice find.  For $65 you got a deal I think.  You bought some cheap fabrication time as well.  I think you could try putting them on the other side if it is stable enough and weld a shelf onto the vertical face of the base so the post has a place to lock in.

the trouble with mounting the Fisher on the other side is the lower screw and piece above it has no place to go through it with out cutting a hole for them..  the other vise could mount there but without the stands being bolted down they are a lot easier to tip over that way.. most of the weight is on that side already .. with them mounted on this side the lower plate is not at all in the way while standing in front of the vise and feels very solid and not easily moved..

I was thinking those might be issues but the idea of welding in a shelf is so attractive.  It would take a bit more fabrication but you could weld a shelf in between the uprights so that it sticks out enough to provide foothold for the post.  Either way, thatnpost needs to rest somewhere.  The mounting plate isn't designed to withstand all of the forces from using the vise and the thing will wobble terribly.  

Oh yeah, while you're at it, attach some tool storage to the side of those bad boys!

Wow, that is an awesome 'post' for your vice. Does the hight work out OK? 

If you have concrete floor you can epoxy a couple of 1" anchoring bolts in it and that thing will go nowhere fast. Good find ... do you know what it was intended for originally? 

PS ... never seen a double screw post vice before. Is the moving jaw supported somehow or only by the screws? 

38 minutes ago, Lou L said:

I was thinking those might be issues but the idea of welding in a shelf is so attractive.  It would take a bit more fabrication but you could weld a shelf in between the uprights so that it sticks out enough to provide foothold for the post.  Either way, thatnpost needs to rest somewhere.  The mounting plate isn't designed to withstand all of the forces from using the vise and the thing will wobble terribly.  

Oh yeah, while you're at it, attach some tool storage to the side of those bad boys!

I just got them home today so I will look more into different mounting ways.. and yes I do know I need to have a support for the end of the post.. storage is also a good idea !! thank you for the ideas Lou !!

33 minutes ago, Marc1 said:

Wow, that is an awesome 'post' for your vice. Does the hight work out OK? 

If you have concrete floor you can epoxy a couple of 1" anchoring bolts in it and that thing will go nowhere fast. Good find ... do you know what it was intended for originally? 

PS ... never seen a double screw post vice before. Is the moving jaw supported somehow or only by the screws? 

Hello Marc, the height seems ok just standing in front of it.. at least for the Fisher.. the bottom plates do have holes already in them that could be used to mount them tight to the floor.. I have no idea what they were original intent was for.. the Fishers jaws remain parallel with each other at all times.. in this photo you can see better that it has another casting that works to keep the jaws in line with each other..

6897[1].jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Those are some awesome stands.  If I had to guess, I'd say they were fixtures for milling and drilling big stuff in a big shop.  Think gigantic carpenter's squares or a sort.  You could bolt them to the table and then bolt whatever you were milling to the fixture so it stayed perpendicular.

I'd give my eye teeth to find something like that.  The little details, like a super sexy vise stand, really make a shop stand out!

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:32 PM, VaughnT said:

Those are some awesome stands.  If I had to guess, I'd say they were fixtures for milling and drilling big stuff in a big shop.  Think gigantic carpenter's squares or a sort.  You could bolt them to the table and then bolt whatever you were milling to the fixture so it stayed perpendicular.

I'd give my eye teeth to find something like that.  The little details, like a super sexy vise stand, really make a shop stand out!

thanks Vaughn T, just happened to see them banded together laying on a pallet at the preview for a small on-line auction house near me.. thought it was one piece at first and though Hmmm.. that looks about the right size for my Fisher vise ! they ended up being two.. only one other person was bidding against me... probably the owner not wanting to let them go for less then scrap !!  

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:28 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Don't forget to run the rope lights around the inside of that stand to give that set up that otherworldly glow...

hadn't thought about rope lights Thomas !! Hmmm ..